Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rm5

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 4, 2022
United States
So this is weird. I just noticed I can't edit any Conversation posts. This happens in all the Conversations I'm a part of. For example, here's the bottom of a post I made, and it there's no "Edit" button. I used to be able to edit stuff, so it's weird how it's just suddenly gone. Is this a under-the-hood change that site administrators just made this evening, or is it a bug? I should mention "normal posts" (i.e. not in Conversations) are editable. I should also mention that none of the Conversations are locked, as I can still reply. Am I being stupid and just not seeing the button?
Screenshot 2023-04-09 at 7.03.48 PM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Scepticalscribe

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
I'm not aware of anything having changed recently, but the time limit on editing your conversation messages is 10 minutes. It appears to be working properly for me.

Could that time limit explain the different behavior you've seen?

Reactions: rm5

rm5

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 4, 2022
United States
I'm not aware of anything having changed recently, but the time limit on editing your conversation messages is 10 minutes. It appears to be working properly for me.

That's why then. I didn't realize there was that limitation. Thanks for explaining!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Yes, I've been caught by the time limit as well on editing conversations, which makes correcting mistakes (such as typos) that have been spotted subsequently rather frustrating.

Is there any possibility that this time limit might be increased to 30 minutes, or an hour?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Yes, I've been caught by the time limit as well on editing conversations, which makes correcting mistakes (such as typos) that have been spotted subsequently rather frustrating.

Is there any possibility that this time limit might be increased to 30 minutes, or an hour?
Yeah, it really is meant just for fixing typos. If you have additional information you want to add, you should just send another message. Feel like 10 minutes should be enough opportunity to catch typos, but I increased it to 30 since it's not a big deal either way.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Yeah, it really is meant just for fixing typos. If you have additional information you want to add, you should just send another message. Feel like 10 minutes should be enough opportunity to catch typos, but I increased it to 30 since it's not a big deal either way.

Thank you. Much appreciated.

I'm not sure how it is for others, but - personally - I have cringed internally at the errors I have failed to catch (and amend, accordingly) in that all too fleeting window of ten minutes.

Given that I fairly frequently return to posts, and edit them (for typos, mainly, but, also, sometimes, for clarity), not being able to do so in conversations was something I found frustrating.

Anyway, my grateful thanks once again; for my part, I will most certainly appreciate (and very much welcome being able to avail of) those additional twenty minutes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.