Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I need to delete a server location in the Apple Files app. I don't see any way to do this in iPadOS, much less edit the location. Am I missing something? If I tap on edit and then tap on the server location, nothing seems to happen.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
I need to delete a server location in the Apple Files app. I don't see any way to do this in iPadOS, much less edit the location. Am I missing something? If I tap on edit and then tap on the server location, nothing seems to happen.

This had me puzzled for a moment there too. When you select the location itself you should have an "eject" button next to the server name. That gets rid of it from the sidebar. You can also remove it from the recents in the connection dialog by tapping the "i" in a circle.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
This had me puzzled for a moment there too. When you select the location itself you should have an "eject" button next to the server name. That gets rid of it from the sidebar. You can also remove it from the recents in the connection dialog by tapping the "i" in a circle.
Thanks for the reply. When I try tapping the eject button, nothing happens and the server address doesn't show up under recents. When I try tapping the (i) and tapping on remove, it comes right back.

The first time I tried to connect to one of my local servers, I forgot to turn on Wifi on my mini 5. The iPad froze and I had to do a hard reboot. Once I got the iPad mini 5 rebooted, the failed local server location address still showed. Tapping on the failed server address doesn't show any local folders or files. Tapping on a newly created local server (of the same address) made when connected to Wifi does show the proper folders and files.

I tried deleting the Files app several times and the first failed server address still shows.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Thanks for the reply. When I try tapping the eject button, nothing happens and the server address doesn't show up under recents. When I try tapping the (i) and tapping on remove, it comes right back.

The first time I tried to connect to one of my local servers, I forgot to turn on Wifi on my mini 5. The iPad froze and I had to do a hard reboot. Once I got the iPad mini 5 rebooted, the failed local server location address still showed. Tapping on the failed server address doesn't show any local folders or files. Tapping on a newly created local server (of the same address) made when connected to Wifi does show the proper folders and files.

I tried deleting the Files app several times and the first failed server address still shows.

Ah. Understood. Sounds like there's a bug around "ejecting" a network volume that isn't mounted in the first place then. Forgive my selfishness but I'm not willing to reproduce and be left with a bad entry to confirm this theory though!

Edit: I thought of a less impactful way to test this. I disabled my own WiFi and attempted to unmount my own "good" entry. Indeed it had no effect and the drive remained in the sidebar. We'll have to report this behavior.

Last edited:

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
Ah. Understood. Sounds like there's a bug around "ejecting" a network volume that isn't mounted in the first place then. Forgive my selfishness but I'm not willing to reproduce and be left with a bad entry to confirm this theory though!

Edit: I thought of a less impactful way to test this. I disabled my own WiFi and attempted to unmount my own "good" entry. Indeed it had no effect and the drive remained in the sidebar. We'll have to report this behavior.
Thank you for taking the time to try and help. I will definitely report the behavior to Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.