Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matty.p

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Portland, OR
I attempted to install HS on an external SSD which failed at about 80%. I was able to restart and get back to my main internal HD without any problems. I went into disk utility to try and erase the external and try and reinstall. However I can't seem to get disk utility to reinstall or erase the external HD.

I have tried multiple erase options but I always get the same error, "Couldn’t communicate with a helper application."

Any help would be appreciated

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I attempted to install HS on an external SSD which failed at about 80%. I was able to restart and get back to my main internal HD without any problems. I went into disk utility to try and erase the external and try and reinstall. However I can't seem to get disk utility to reinstall or erase the external HD.

I have tried multiple erase options but I always get the same error, "Couldn’t communicate with a helper application."

Any help would be appreciated

Have you tried to erase the disk from the recovery disk Partition?

Hold CMD-R at startup.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Try a reset of NVRAM.

… tried multiple erase options but I always get the same error, "Couldn’t communicate with a helper application." …

If that error recurs, please provide a screenshot of Disk Utility; for us to see exactly what is selected.

Also, please let us have output from the following commands:

Code:
diskutil list

diskutil APFS list

diskutil coreStorage list

Hint: for legibility, use the icon to paste as code.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
1, find a windows computer
2, connect to disk
3, format disk
4, problem solved.

HFS+, Guess not.

But joking aside, think I get where you want to go, first Format it with Windows, next try to do it again using DU, format as HFS+ GUID.

Try a reset of NVRAM.

If that error recurs, please provide a screenshot of Disk Utility; for us to see exactly what is selected.

Also, please let us have output from the following commands:

Code:
diskutil list

diskutil APFS list

diskutil coreStorage list

Hint: for legibility, use the icon to paste as code.

Don't think a PRAM/NVRAM reset will work, neither a SMC reset.
Disk Utility is fairly crappy nowadays, just a few OS versions ago it never failed on me, that's not the case anymore.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Don't think a PRAM/NVRAM reset will work, neither a SMC reset.

Not an SMC reset.

NVRAM is a long shot based on the 'stickiness' that was known to occur, in some cases, with interruptions to installation of earlier versions of the OS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.