Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tedwill

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2016
Northville, MI
I purchased an Aura SSD 1TB drive a few years ago. It came with an enclosure for the 256gb drive, which i used as a backup drive. I installed the OWA 1tb SSD on my 2013 MBP. It worked great without any problems.

Last month, I bought a new M1 Macbook pro. I traded in my old one. Prior to trading it in, I removed the 1TB Aura SSD from my old Mac and installed it in the enclosure. I replaced the 256gb (original drive) and it worked fine.

However, when I loaded the 1TB Aura SSD in the external enclosure, I'm unable to erase or partition the drive.

I receive this error message:

Unable to write to the last block of the device. : (-69760)

And:

Couldn’t modify partition map. : (-69874)

I have tried to use the MacOS Disk Utility and the command line. I tried using a Windows machine as well. Nothing has worked so far.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks!

-Ted

tedwill

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2016
Northville, MI
I just ran Diskpart and attempted to Clean and received this error:

Cannot zero sectors on disk \\?\PhysicalDrive1. Error code: 79@0101000F

This is so odd, since this drive worked perfectly as my internal boot drive on my Macbook pro for years. I'm wondering if there is a security issue with moving an internal drive to becoming an external drive.

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
I purchased an Aura SSD 1TB drive a few years ago. It came with an enclosure for the 256gb drive, which i used as a backup drive. I installed the OWA 1tb SSD on my 2013 MBP. It worked great without any problems.

Last month, I bought a new M1 Macbook pro. I traded in my old one. Prior to trading it in, I removed the 1TB Aura SSD from my old Mac and installed it in the enclosure. I replaced the 256gb (original drive) and it worked fine.

However, when I loaded the 1TB Aura SSD in the external enclosure, I'm unable to erase or partition the drive.

I receive this error message:

Unable to write to the last block of the device. : (-69760)

And:

Couldn’t modify partition map. : (-69874)

I have tried to use the MacOS Disk Utility and the command line. I tried using a Windows machine as well. Nothing has worked so far.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks!

-Ted
I seem to recall that the Aura did not work in the Envoy Pro enclosure so I did a little searching and found the following "Important Note" in a early release of the Aura:

"Important Note: The OWC Envoy Pro enclosure has been specifically designed for use ONLY with select Apple Flash SSDs from most 2013 to 2015 Mac models. Do NOT attempt to install or use an OWC Aura, Aura Pro, Aura Pro X or Aura Pro X2 SSD in the Envoy Pro as you can damage the OWC SSD, enclosure, or both. Such damage is not covered under warranty."

Here is the web page:

I recommend you contact OWC Support and discuss the situation with them:

EDIT:
Here is some information I found as to why you can't use the Envoy enclosure (see the 3rd post):

Last edited:

tedwill

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2016
Northville, MI
I seem to recall that the Aura did not work in the Envoy Pro enclosure so I did a little searching and found the following "Important Note" in a early release of the Aura:

"Important Note: The OWC Envoy Pro enclosure has been specifically designed for use ONLY with select Apple Flash SSDs from most 2013 to 2015 Mac models. Do NOT attempt to install or use an OWC Aura, Aura Pro, Aura Pro X or Aura Pro X2 SSD in the Envoy Pro as you can damage the OWC SSD, enclosure, or both. Such damage is not covered under warranty."

Here is the web page:

I recommend you contact OWC Support and discuss the situation with them:

EDIT:
Here is some information I found as to why you can't use the Envoy enclosure (see the 3rd post):
Thanks for catching that. I will reach out to their customer support. I was hoping to save this one terabyte drive as a back up drive, since external SSD’s 1 TB and larger are still very expensive.

Reactions: CoastalOR

AD2012

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2012
Hi just found this thread after a google search!

I also purchased a new MacBook M1 air, to replace a 2012 MacBook Pro.
I removed the OWC 500GB Aura from my old MacBook pro before sale, putting the original apple 250GB SSD back in.

I am now looking to sell the Aura 500 GB SSD but wanted to check it and erase any of my info.
I put it into the envoy pro holder, but when I now connect to my new MacBook M1 cant seem to access it.
It lights up and appears to be working, when I run windows on parallels and plug it in I get a message asking me which OS I want to use it with.
Just can't do anything with it?

Did you get any joy in resolving?

tedwill

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2016
Northville, MI
No, the drive was only meant to be used internally. Their SSD enclosure only works with the 128 and 256gb drives as an external drive. I talked to their tech support people and they confirmed it. Here is an excerpt from their email:

Thank you for contacting MacSales.com. I will be more than happy to assist you today!
I sincerely apologize for the delayed response.

The reason you are unable to get the drive to function correctly in the envoy is due to the Envoy and Aura not being compatiable with one other. We currently do not have an external enclosure that we have been able to accomodate the Aura SSD.

I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may or has caused you.

bobbytomorow

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2007
Left Coast
I have just run into the same issue. Bought a new M1 Macbook, and sold my old MBP. Before I sold my MBP I removed the OWC Aura X2 2TB and put the stock Apple one back in then sold the MBP. Now I have this 2TB drive (very expensive) and the envoy enclosure but no way of using the drive or even selling it because I can't even wipe it...Talk about frustrating, I have a very expensive paper weight now.

There HAS to be some kind of adapter that works. First why doesn't the envoy work? is it a voltage thing?

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
I have just run into the same issue. Bought a new M1 Macbook, and sold my old MBP. Before I sold my MBP I removed the OWC Aura X2 2TB and put the stock Apple one back in then sold the MBP. Now I have this 2TB drive (very expensive) and the envoy enclosure but no way of using the drive or even selling it because I can't even wipe it...Talk about frustrating, I have a very expensive paper weight now.

There HAS to be some kind of adapter that works. First why doesn't the envoy work? is it a voltage thing?
Yes, it is a voltage thing.

See my post #6 & links (especially the last link) in the post 6 this thread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.