Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guido.coza

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
South Africa
I just installed monterey.
The history, I was running Mojave on a mac OS journaled ssd
I needed to upgrade, but could not because of the format of the drive 125gb (1tb packed up 4 weeks ago)
I cleaned up as much as I could and partitioned the drive with a 50GB APFS partition.
Downloaded monterey and loaded new partition with migration assistant.
Now I would like to add the 78gb of the "Old" partition to the boot partition.
I formatted the partition already to APFS but can not add it to the boot partition.
As soon as I click on the boot partition the + - signs are greyed out. I can create container, create further partitions on the 80GB p"drive" but nothing on the "Caution ! disk....!" drive. I only have 6gb free space now Screenshot 2023-01-04 at 22.17.03.jpg

Last edited:

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Connect this Mac to another Mac and boot it into Target Disk Mode. Then use Disk Utility on the other Mac to make changes?

Provide output from diskutil list

Madonion

Cancelled
Nov 21, 2020
bet you have Mac fee installed that looks like the quarantine folder I believe you have to go to the app to sort it out as its locked

guido.coza

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
South Africa
Backup your data on an external drive and make a clean install with a bootable installer https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372
Yes that's what I am doing now. Making a time machine back-up (BTW had to delete 3 gb of files before it could do the backup. seems a minimum of 4gb of free space is needed to make a TM backup.
Than want to format the internal ssd via utility, hope that works,(????) and than install from TM

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.