Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pertch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2004
tx
I missed out on a couple of okay ebay auctions... but for the most part all of the SE's on ebay have a lot of cosmetic damage and such. I am really interested in buying a SE in near mint condition (along with mouse, kb, etc). i'm new to this board .... i've been searching all over the place trying to track one down. i didn't think the Marketplace was too fitting for this post since everything on there is at least systems circa 1995+. So do any of you have a really clean SE+kb+mouse you're willing to sell? Or are there other places besides ebay where i'd have some decent luck in finding one?

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
I've got a SE (in addition to my SE/30 in my sig). It does have some minor cosmetic damage, scratches and blemishes. The sticker on the back says 1MB RAM, 800K floppy, and a 20MB SCSI hard drive. The RAM has been upgraded to 5MB (as it was originally used for CAD).

Until about 3 months ago, the SE belonged to my high school, and high schools can be murder on computers. I don't have the original manuals, floppies, no keyboard, no mouse, no power cord (though I do have other matching power cords).

For some reason, when ever I put in a floppy, it says 'cannot read floppy, would you like to format?' I'll click format, then all of a sudden it'll spit the floppy out for no reason. I think that might be due to me using 1.44MB floppies as opposed to 800K floppies. The hard drive also make as chinking sound every time it tries to access data.

seamuskrat

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
New Jersey USA
You may have a bad floppy drive as well. Although I am SURE the 1.44 instead of 800 makes a big difference as well.

It a solid machine, although with the damaged drive and lack of 800 K floppies, I am not sure you can do much with it currently.

Oh well.

musicpyrite said:
I've got a SE (in addition to my SE/30 in my sig). It does have some minor cosmetic damage, scratches and blemishes. The sticker on the back says 1MB RAM, 800K floppy, and a 20MB SCSI hard drive. The RAM has been upgraded to 5MB (as it was originally used for CAD).

Until about 3 months ago, the SE belonged to my high school, and high schools can be murder on computers. I don't have the original manuals, floppies, no keyboard, no mouse, no power cord (though I do have other matching power cords).

For some reason, when ever I put in a floppy, it says 'cannot read floppy, would you like to format?' I'll click format, then all of a sudden it'll spit the floppy out for no reason. I think that might be due to me using 1.44MB floppies as opposed to 800K floppies. The hard drive also make as chinking sound every time it tries to access data.

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
seamuskrat said:
You may have a bad floppy drive as well. Although I am SURE the 1.44 instead of 800 makes a big difference as well.

It a solid machine, although with the damaged drive and lack of 800 K floppies, I am not sure you can do much with it currently.

Oh well.

Hmmm I think I'll give AppleCare a call tonight and see what they say. ;) :D

I guess I could try to find a replacement 1.44MB drive off eBay, but I really don't care about the SE, as my SE/30 suits my needs perfectly.

racepres

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2004
central Michigan
our SE will only handle single density (800) floppy's in fact as soon as we get the business archives transferred to cd ( yes we have abt 12 yrs worth on floppy ) we should have a lifetime supply of these little scoundrels!! As I recall the SE was prone to mech. noises but would perform under less than ideal circumstances!!

MrBubbles

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2003
Mad City
You can format any 3.5 inch floppy as an 800K disk using a little bit of tape. If you look at a 1.44MB disk, you'll notice that there are 2 holes in it. One hole has a little sliding mechanism so you enable/disable writes to the disk. The other hole signifies that the disk is high density or double-sided or something. If you cover that second hole on both sides with some tape, you can format the disk as an 800K disk in MacOS or as a 720K disk in DOS or Windows.

racepres

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2004
central Michigan
wow ... now here is a guy who pays attention to details .. what brought ya to scrutinize the disks to such a degree?? But you made my "antique" 800 disks unnecessary and obsolete!! ;)

vollspacken

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2002
Boogie-Down Berlintown
musicpyrite said:

mod it... it's broken and it's not mint condition. give it a new purpose and what could be better than hod rodding that nice machine..?!

vSpacken

racepres

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2004
central Michigan
:cool: Two things ... 1st does anyone know which kbd and mouse came w/ the SE?? I think probably the "brick" shaped mouse. the kbd may have been the one layed out like the one on a pwrmac but the size of the type that came w/ the performa 550, with that nasty "phone-cord " type cable. Would like to know though jus 'cuzz..
2nd ...Vollspacken to mod a SE where would ya start??? Processor wise especially. or wouldn't a performa 550 be a better candidate?? Thanks...

RickMGoldie

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2004
Guildford, U.K.
Next time you visit the U.K. I could sell you mine. It has max ram (4Mb) , 20Mb Hard drive instead of the second 800Kfloppy, MacOS 8.0 + Claris Works 5, Kbd + Mouse + CarryBag and is is full working order but it has 230v PSU. I could throw in a SCSI 230MB Optical Cartrige drive and cables, and an Imagewriter.

I hadn't thought of selling it on the grounds that it can't be worth much and I did love it so. But a loving home to go to ... well that would be different.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Just to let ya know, those 1.44MB floppies if you tape that hle and format them, etc....

The data literally gets courupted in seconds. I formatted a floppy like that, ran down the hall, (3 seconds), shoved it into the floppy drive (1 sec) and waited for it to read. I was able to grab across to the hard drive most the the items, but two applications were bad (yes, two. They were small, okay?) So, I had to repeat the trip, including a reformat. If you can find an 800k floppy (they lay around on the ground!!) use that.

mkaake

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2003
mi
wow... i was able to find a nearly mint (only a few blemishes on the back of the case) with a 250 meg hard drive, the 800k and 1.44 floppy in it. it's amazing. i'd part with it, but i love it dearly! it's great. my first mac was a mac plus - and a week after I picked up one of those, I found this one sitting in a local Kiwana's store - they actually had a bunch of nice old macs in there. Anyway, picked up the mac s/e for a scant 30 dollars. i'd post pics of the keyboard and mouse it came with, but don't have time.

since it had ADB, it received the first ADB mouse - the more square (but not mac plus-like chunky) ADB mouse. the keyboard is a little on the small side, with the adb port on the left hand side, the triangle button above the 5 and 6. It doesn't have an inverted T for the arrows. Model number: M0116.

i might be able to get some pics tomorrow (not sure though)

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
There was two different versions of the Mac SE.
The plain SE (800k/20MB)
And the SE-FDHD (FloppyDriveHighDenisty, which had 1440k floppy and 40MB hd)

and: musicprite, the SE can only hold 4MB ram, not 5MB...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.