Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MattG

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
A friend from work got a G3 from a family member and wants me to update and make it usable. I bought a copy of 10.3 to install on it. The computer refuses to boot to the CD. I've tried every way I can think of. Holding down "C" while booting up, booting up to OS 8.6 (the OS that's installed on there currently) and changing the startup disc to the CD-ROM drive, and opening the CD drive and clicking on "Install Mac OS X." What am I doing wrong? As far as I know, this computer should be compatible. The CD sleeve says system requirements are a G3, G4 or G5 computer.

:confused:

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
MattG said:
A friend from work got a G3 from a family member and wants me to update and make it usable. I bought a copy of 10.3 to install on it. The computer refuses to boot to the CD. I've tried every way I can think of. Holding down "C" while booting up, booting up to OS 8.6 (the OS that's installed on there currently) and changing the startup disc to the CD-ROM drive, and opening the CD drive and clicking on "Install Mac OS X." What am I doing wrong? As far as I know, this computer should be compatible. The CD sleeve says system requirements are a G3, G4 or G5 computer.

:confused:

Applied firmware update? I think it will need it to run OSX.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
Have you tried to hold down option on startup? Or cmd-shift-option-backspace on startup?

Will it boot from other cds? If not there is a posibility that the cdrom isn't the original or is damaged.
Try resetting pram (i've have to do it on my beige g3, if i want to start from my osx cd..).

Littleodie914

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
What exactly is it doing when you try to boot from the CD? Like is it spinning up for a sec, then giving up and booting back into 8.6? Or does it start booting from the CD, and hang at the happy mac with the spinning OS X beachball?

MattG

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
Littleodie914 said:
What exactly is it doing when you try to boot from the CD? Like is it spinning up for a sec, then giving up and booting back into 8.6? Or does it start booting from the CD, and hang at the happy mac with the spinning OS X beachball?

I hear the drive spin up. It shows a folder with a question mark on it, then it continues to boot to 8.6. I never actually see the big Apple symbol that you normally see when booting to a 10.3 CD.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
MattG said:
I hear the drive spin up. It shows a folder with a question mark on it, then it continues to boot to 8.6. I never actually see the big Apple symbol that you normally see when booting to a 10.3 CD.

I know there are firmware updates, the only think i can think of it might be the CarbonLib but that doesn't make much sense :-/ Umm...Maybe if you can upgrade to at least 9.1 and try the 'Software Update', you might be able to find a needed update like a hidden firmware update or something. Your Mac is new enough, maybe try calling Apple. Or at least go on their support page http://www.apple.com/support :confused:

MattG

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
LimeiBook86 said:
I know there are firmware updates, the only think i can think of it might be the CarbonLib but that doesn't make much sense :-/ Umm...Maybe if you can upgrade to at least 9.1 and try the 'Software Update', you might be able to find a needed update like a hidden firmware update or something. Your Mac is new enough, maybe try calling Apple. Or at least go on their support page http://www.apple.com/support :confused:
Thanks..

I've been looking around on Apple's support page. I found a document that said you need firmware 1.2 to install 10.3, and that's what I've upgraded it to. I'm not sure what's wrong.

Unfortunately I don't have a copy of OS 9 to install, but maybe I could find someone to lend me a copy.

MattG

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
Macmaniac said:
I don't think you can boot OS X off an 8.6 system. You have to have at least system 9 to get it to install. Try putting a copy of 9 on.
Yeah...I'm beginning to think that's the case. I'm going to try that now. Thanks!

hikeNM

macrumors 6502a
In order to update to X, you must have the correct firmware. In order to have the correct firmware, you must be running 9.1. I've had this same problem before. Make sure you have the correct firmware before trying to install 10.3. Otherwise your monitor will go blank. Then you're really screwed because you won't be able to see anything in order to get the correct firmware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.