Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RRMM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2020
Hello, newbie here. This is probably repost but I wasn't able to find my exact issue around here. I can't seem to make my external ssd (2TB 870) bootable. I'm definitely anything but expert but I tried literally anything to make the freaking thing work, properly installed macOS, re-initialised it both as journaled once and APFS another time, but no matter what I do it never shows up among the boot disks and in the information panel in the DUC it's always marked as unbootable. I have no idea what to do next and I'm also afraid to randomly try stuff that could screw it up even worse, please help

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
If you have a 2018 Mac Mini:
A 2018 Mac Mini, by default, will not boot from an external drive unless the Security Utility has been run to set to allow booting from a drive other than the internal because of the T2 chip.

RRMM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2020
If you have a 2018 Mac Mini:
A 2018 Mac Mini, by default, will not boot from an external drive unless the Security Utility has been run to set to allow booting from a drive other than the internal because of the T2 chip.
Thanks. I do have a 2018 and I've run Recovery multiple times but SU never shows up among the options, do you have any idea why?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.