Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leonguru

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2021
Can icloud email addresses somehow be set up to where it is linked to a phone number within the settings of the actual email itself? I am trying to access an old icloud account I have but every time I try and sign in, it tries to send a two factor auth code to my old phone number that I no longer have access to.

When I click other options, it gives an option to send to a different number, but when I enter my current number it won't let me do it.

I have checked my settings on my phone and two factor auth is my new phone number and the old one isn't in there. When I tried to add it to my account it says the email address is taken.

What am I missing here? It appears it is seeing it as a separate Apple ID almost, and won't let me add it to my current account.

lostom

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2010
Are you using iforgot?

Pretty sure there is a feature there that allows you get a code to a trusted device or security questions perhaps?

leonguru

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2021
Yes, but it doesn't work. It lists my old number there. When I enter my old number in the box it says "This number is incorrect, please use a number that you use to receive verification codes for two factor auth." There isn't an option to answer security questions. I honestly think somehow I used this icloud email on an old phone as my Apple ID and set it up on that phone number which I can't access.

lostom

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2010
what if you click on " didn't get code" that should give you another option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.