Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ricecrispies

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2018
I tried to uninstall Fujitsu ScanSnap Manager by dragging it to the trash, as per Fujitsu's instructions. This got rid of the app, but every time I start a new desktop session on my Mac, I get a pop-up that says "Make sure that ScanSnap Manager is installed correctly (0xFF000001)". So I go to my Users preferences and delete ScanSnap Manager from the startup items, but then the next time I log in, I get the same message and ScanSnap Manager is once again listed as a startup item. How can I get rid of this thing?

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I tried to uninstall Fujitsu ScanSnap Manager by dragging it to the trash, as per Fujitsu's instructions. This got rid of the app, but every time I start a new desktop session on my Mac, I get a pop-up that says "Make sure that ScanSnap Manager is installed correctly (0xFF000001)". So I go to my Users preferences and delete ScanSnap Manager from the startup items, but then the next time I log in, I get the same message and ScanSnap Manager is once again listed as a startup item. How can I get rid of this thing?
What sometimes is needed to truly delete an app is to search for app remnants in both your user Library and the system Library. Using Fujitsu as the search term might be enough, but if it was me, I'd do a separate search for ScanSnap.

Reactions: ricecrispies

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Agree with svenmany above.

Either drag the SnapScan manager back OUT of the trash to applications, or RE-install it (yes, I understand you want to GET RID of it, but re-install it for a moment).

Then use the free "AppCleaner" to remove it.

The warning you're receiving is probably due to an "ancillary" file associated with SnapScan that is still left on your drive somewhere.

AppCleaner should FIND these "related files" and make it possible to get rid of them all at once.

Get it here:

rpmurray

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2017
Back End of Beyond
Actually the first thing you should do is to check if there is an uninstall tool that came with the installer, or if the application has an uninstall option in one of its menus. The error is most likely caused by a launch agent plist that is trying to automatically restart the ScanSnap Manager.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
Actually the first thing you should do is to check if there is an uninstall tool that came with the installer, or if the application has an uninstall option in one of its menus. The error is most likely caused by a launch agent plist that is trying to automatically restart the ScanSnap Manager.

The version of ScanSnap that I have has an uninstaller. It's not in any menu. It's here: /Applications/ScanSnap/Sub/ScanSnap Uninstaller.app. I've not tried it. I can't comment on whether it will be more or less thorough than AppCleaner.

I also have installed "ScanSnap Online Update". That also has an uninstaller. I think that has to be run after ScanSnap is uninstalled.

Reactions: NoBoMac

ricecrispies

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2018
Thanks for all your replies. I missed the emails notifying me of them, which is why I haven't replied earlier.

I tried reinstalling ScanSnap manager and got a popup saying:
"ScanSnap Manager can't be installed on this computer. The specific message could not be found for the index 31."

I then pulled ScanSnap Manager out of the trash and tried to run it, but got a popup saying "Make sure that ScanSnap Manager is installed correctly.(0xFF000001)", and it didn't start.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
Thanks for all your replies. I missed the emails notifying me of them, which is why I haven't replied earlier.

I tried reinstalling ScanSnap manager and got a popup saying:
"ScanSnap Manager can't be installed on this computer. The specific message could not be found for the index 31."

I then pulled ScanSnap Manager out of the trash and tried to run it, but got a popup saying "Make sure that ScanSnap Manager is installed correctly.(0xFF000001)", and it didn't start.

Be aware that there are many versions of the program. You have to match the particular scanner and operating system of your mac. I sometimes struggle finding the right one to download; I often have to follow a few links to find it.

ricecrispies

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2018
Be aware that there are many versions of the program. You have to match the particular scanner and operating system of your mac. I sometimes struggle finding the right one to download; I often have to follow a few links to find it.
I picked the right scanner model (S1500M), but it looks like the software is only supposed to work for MacOS versions up to 12.1, and I have 12.6.

ricecrispies

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2018
I've also gone to the Fujitsu support contact page, but the form only allows enquiries about more recent Fujitsu scanners. I guess I need to find the plist file concerned and delete it, but I'm not sure how to go about that.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
Take a step back. You're trying to get rid of the program, right? You dragged the app out of the trash and tried to run it. You don't need to run ScanSnap to have AppCleaner do its cleanup.

After move the application out of the trash and back into the Applications folder, just drag it onto the AppCleaner window. AppCleaner will do its magic to clean up everything. Then reboot.

ricecrispies

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2018
I seem to have solved it.

I opened a terminal and ran Midnight Commander (installed using Homebrew), with admin privileges ("sudo mc"). Then I did a search in /Library for all files with "fujitsu" in the name (in case insensitive mode), and deleted them. Then I rebooted and found that I no longer got the popup.

Thanks particularly to whoever it was who said there would be a plist file somewhere. That really helped.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
Glad it worked out.

For the future you might consider that AppCleaner would have been more thorough. It might have also found files that don't have fujitsu in the name that could be in other ways associated with the program. It also would have looked more broadly than just in /Library. For example, ~/Library, /tmp.

ricecrispies

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2018
Glad it worked out.

For the future you might consider that AppCleaner would have been more thorough. It might have also found files that don't have fujitsu in the name that could be in other ways associated with the program. It also would have looked more broadly than just in /Library. For example, ~/Library, /tmp.
I did search in ˜/, and I also searched for *snap* in /Library, but I didn't find anything, which is why I didn't mention it.

I didn't realise that AppCleaner would work even if the app wasn't correctly installed. On the other hand, Midnight Commander is a tool I know really well from using it on Linux systems, so it was a natural choice for me.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
I did search in ˜/, and I also searched for *snap* in /Library, but I didn't find anything, which is why I didn't mention it.

I didn't realise that AppCleaner would work even if the app wasn't correctly installed. On the other hand, Midnight Commander is a tool I know really well from using it on Linux systems, so it was a natural choice for me.

Great! You seem to have mastered it.

By the way, the program I use is free and found at https://freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/. It's very lightweight and tells you what it's going to do; you can selectively choose which files to delete once you're presented with the list.

ricecrispies

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2018
Great! You seem to have mastered it.

By the way, the program I use is free and found at https://freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/. It's very lightweight and tells you what it's going to do; you can selectively choose which files to delete once you're presented with the list.
I've downloaded it ready for future use.

One reason I think I hesitated to install it was because the name reminded me of all those supposed "system cleaner" apps for Windows you find plugged on dodgy websites which are actually malware and which I spent many years diligently avoiding.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I actually tried App Cleaner yesterday for a pesky removal issue I couldn't complete manually, and I have to say it worked very well and quickly. It also found some leftovers from other removals, which I was surprised to see. Guess I'm a convert now.

ricecrispies

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2018
I actually tried App Cleaner yesterday for a pesky removal issue I couldn't complete manually, and I have to say it worked very well and quickly. It also found some leftovers from other removals, which I was surprised to see. Guess I'm a convert now.
How did you get AppCleaner to find leftovers from apps that weren't there anymore? All I can see is the drop box and the list of currently installed apps. No list of leftovers.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
How did you get AppCleaner to find leftovers from apps that weren't there anymore? All I can see is the drop box and the list of currently installed apps. No list of leftovers.
It was just in the list as a category but disappeared once they'd been removed, so chances are you don't have any leftovers.

Cancelled
Jun 16, 2022
The files to be deleted are to be found in:

/Library/LaunchAgents

They are called:

com.fujitsu.pfu.ScanSnap.AOUMonitor.plist
com.fujitsu.pfu.SshRegister.plist
com.fujitsu.pfu.SshResident.plist
com.fujitsu.pfu.SshSCloudWatch.plist

Before trashing them the respective processes should be killed in Activity Monitor.

Last edited:
Reactions: WP31

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
The files to be deleted are to be found in:

/Library/LaunchAgents

They are called:

com.fujitsu.pfu.ScanSnap.AOUMonitor.plist
com.fujitsu.pfu.SshRegister.plist
com.fujitsu.pfu.SshResident.plist
com.fujitsu.pfu.SshSCloudWatch.plist

Before trashing them the respective processes should be killed in Activity Monitor.

That varies by version of the software. I only have the first of those four, and many more files located elsewhere.

That first file you mention is not related to the ScanSnap application on my system. It is instead related to the "ScanSnap Online Update" application (AutoOnlineUpdate.app).

thombrooks

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2022
I'm in a similar situation. I have a ScanSnap S1500M, and while it works, I don't think that the software it's trying to update is even the right version. But the uninstaller won't remove the online update checker without uninstalling the software. My fear is that if I uninstall the software, will it remove the part that works? So I'm wondering if there's just a way to kill the part that does the periodic check.

ricecrispies

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2018
An update:

It turned out that the problem was a more general one of changes to my login items not sticking. I would make changes to them, but when I looked at them again, they had reverted to how they were before. I spent a long time on the phone to Apple's level 2 support trying to sort it out. In the end, the support guy suggested that I wait a few more days until Ventura was released, and see if the system upgrade made a difference. And in fact it did. After that I could once more add and remove login items.

That said, I still have certain problems that look similar, such as that I have to wait a few minutes every time I start Apple Music for my library to sync because it never remembers it between sessions. This suggests to me that a lot of permissions got mysteriously mangled, and that some of them have yet to be fixed, despite the new OS.

daabido

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2008
Apple makes it easy to "delete" a program, but AppCleaner should be one of the first programs you download on a new Mac. It does a great job of finding all the bits left behind.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.