Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr_Ed

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 10, 2004
North and east of Mickeyland
I use “stack” style notifications on my Lock Screen and I can clear all notifications except the one telling me a new iOS version is available. I’ve looked under “Notification” settings and don’t see any obvious way to eliminate those, but the biggest issue is once it is there, I can’t get rid of it.

I’ll decide when to update, thank you, Apple. I’ve seen the notification, and acknowledged it by tapping on it. It won’t go away, and there is no option to clear it.

Can anyone point me to what I’ve overlooked?

DaveS86

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2022
Try this:

Here's how to turn off iPhone update notification.
  1. On your iPhone, navigate to Settings > General > Software Update.
  2. Tap Automatic Updates.
  3. You will see two options. Turn both of them off.

Mr_Ed

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 10, 2004
Try this:

Here's how to turn off iPhone update notification.
  1. On your iPhone, navigate to Settings > General > Software Update.
  2. Tap Automatic Updates.
  3. You will see two options. Turn both of them off.
Thanks for the reply. I turned those off ages ago. Just double checked now to make sure they did not revert somehow, but they are still off.

I remember years ago I used to argue with colleagues that I liked working on Apple (computers at the time) because they were “not in my face, interrupting me” all the time. So much for that, I guess.

DaveS86

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2022
No worries, sorry it didn’t help. I guess a backup and reset might be in order. Bit of a PITA though….

mcnatg

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2022
Did you ever find a workaround for this? Just started happening to me, because I must be at the first update since I postponed upgrading to iOS 17 until recently. This goes up there in the annoyances column with the badge on Settings that cannot be dismissed ...

... just slightly lower down than the unable to dismiss "accept new iCloud terms" that showed up on my iPad when I upgraded to iOS 16 and has survived a call to Applecare and upgrade to iOS 17, still stuck in an endless loop of asking me to accept terms that I've probably accepted a few hundred times.

Apple's usability team really fails at their jobs when it comes to these mandatory notifications, but perhaps they get overruled by some other team? Shrug

Mr_Ed

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 10, 2004
Did you ever find a workaround for this? Just started happening to me, because I must be at the first update since I postponed upgrading to iOS 17 until recently. This goes up there in the annoyances column with the badge on Settings that cannot be dismissed ...

... just slightly lower down than the unable to dismiss "accept new iCloud terms" that showed up on my iPad when I upgraded to iOS 16 and has survived a call to Applecare and upgrade to iOS 17, still stuck in an endless loop of asking me to accept terms that I've probably accepted a few hundred times.

Apple's usability team really fails at their jobs when it comes to these mandatory notifications, but perhaps they get overruled by some other team? Shrug
No solution, I just gave up trying to fix it, and it seemed to go away on its own after several days. Don’t remember how many.

But hey! Just today it’s happening again for the 17.3 update. Can’t dismiss it any way that I’ve tried.

I’ve been an Apple customer since 1993 and was always happy to tell others how great the products were, but I swear these days they just piss me off on a regular basis. They put all that effort into the nice wallpaper customization, only to cover it up with this boneheaded notification that you can’t get rid of. 🤷‍♂️

knotheadhank

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2024
Mr Ed,
This was driving me crazy. I have 17.1.1 (which I regret installing) and the banner for 17.3.1 popped up on my lock screen. I couldn’t get rid of it either. I searched high and low and nothing suggested short of installing the new version worked. Finally the idiot I am held my finger on the banner out of frustration and it popped up with the option to dismiss it while the screen was still locked. I hit dismiss and it’s gone. Will it stay gone??? Time will tell.

Reactions: Mr_Ed

Mr_Ed

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 10, 2004
Mr Ed,
This was driving me crazy. I have 17.1.1 (which I regret installing) and the banner for 17.3.1 popped up on my lock screen. I couldn’t get rid of it either. I searched high and low and nothing suggested short of installing the new version worked. Finally the idiot I am held my finger on the banner out of frustration and it popped up with the option to dismiss it while the screen was still locked. I hit dismiss and it’s gone. Will it stay gone??? Time will tell.
OMG! Thank you! That works.

Why would Apple make THAT notification behave differently from all others, then not publicize how to get rid of it? Like you, I searched all over for how to dismiss it and found nothing.

It just feels like Apple wants to force the upgrades, without saying “we want to force the upgrades”. Pretty shabby, IMO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.