Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Giffel

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2017
I would like to use my 10gb ethernet in my Mac Mini to get higher transfer speeds from/to my NAS, is it possible?

My setup:

Mac Mini M2 Pro with 10gb ethernet (Ventura 13.3.1)
Synology Diskstation 916+ with 2x1gb ethernet and DSM 7.2 beta
Netgear GS110EMX switch with 8x1gb and 2x10gb ethernet

Diskstation is connected to switch via 2x1gb ports and the Mac is connected to 1x10gb port on the switch.
I have enabled SMB3 Multichannel on my Diskstation, that just became available in recent update.

Multichannel is on on the Mac but it still only connects to one of the Diskstations ports.

What am i doing wrong?

Skærmbillede 2023-05-13 kl. 13.55.33.png

sparkplug37

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2010
Did you have any luck fixing this?

I have the same issue and could only get a multi-channel setup working was with a second Nic on my Mac Studio which is not what I wanted when I got a 10gb Nic.

Giffel

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2017
Did you have any luck fixing this?

I have the same issue and could only get a multi-channel setup working was with a second Nic on my Mac Studio which is not what I wanted when I got a 10gb Nic.
Unfortunately not...

I ended up buying a 2.5GB USB NIC for the NAS, now it works as i wanted it too.

sparkplug37

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2010
I also bought a 5g Nic, which only delivers 2.5g. But I find I need to restart the Synology smb service; otherwise, the transfer speed drops to below 1g speed after about a week though raw throughput is still high if I test with iperf.

sparkplug37

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2010
Yes I'm using the aqc111 driver along with a NT-SS5G adaptor. I have a collection of 2 other adaptors, which all seemed to get a little hot and the connection failed over time. The NT-SS5G keeps the connection going but I just find the SMB transfers really slow down and a smb service stop/start resolves the issue.

• Sad
Reactions: Giffel
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.