Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maco55

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
I'm on beta 5 16A312a, wondering why I'm not getting the latest beta in app store?

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
I'm on beta 5 16A312a, wondering why I'm not getting the latest beta in app store?
You didn't say which path you're on (developer or public).
PB7: /private/var/folders/zz/zyxvpxvq6csfxvn_n00000s0000068/C/softwareupdated/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.SUCatalogDataManager/o/031-74353

DP8: /private/var/folders/zz/zyxvpxvq6csfxvn_n00000s0000068/C/softwareupdated/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.SUCatalogDataManager/a/031-74355

Those are the paths to where the .dist file will be located for the latest beta update. If you don't have the directory (and the .dist file within it) then your software updater isn't working properly.

In terminal, at the command prompt, issue the command sudo softwareupdate --list

Which Mac are you using?

maco55

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
You didn't say which path you're on (developer or public).
PB7: /private/var/folders/zz/zyxvpxvq6csfxvn_n00000s0000068/C/softwareupdated/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.SUCatalogDataManager/o/031-74353

DP8: /private/var/folders/zz/zyxvpxvq6csfxvn_n00000s0000068/C/softwareupdated/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.SUCatalogDataManager/a/031-74355

Those are the paths to where the .dist file will be located for the latest beta update. If you don't have the directory (and the .dist file within it) then your software updater isn't working properly.

In terminal, at the command prompt, issue the command sudo softwareupdate --list

Which Mac are you using?

MBP 2015, public beta

Can't find these folders...

Reactions: grahamperrin

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012

That is not beta 5. It is public beta 7. That IS already the latest beta. And that is why you can't see the update in the mac app store. It is already up to date.

Yours has a slightly lower build number than the version you get via updates (16A313a) because it was installed via the full installer.

They are virtually identical and so there is no need to update 16A312a to 16A313a.

Just wait for the next update to come out before attempting to update the system.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikzn

maco55

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
You did copy/paste them into Finder, right? On the menu, Go, Go To Folder, then paste it in. Subfolders underneath are hidden to keep people from breaking things.
"folder can't be found"
[doublepost=1472747959][/doublepost]
That is not beta 5. It is public beta 7. That IS already the latest beta. And that is why you can't see the update in the mac app store. It is already up to date.

Yours has a slightly lower build number than the version you get via updates (16A313a) because it was installed via the full installer.

They are virtually identical and so there is no need to update 16A312a to 16A313a.

Just wait for the next update to come out before attempting to update the system.
Ok, didn't know that.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
No! Not necessarily. Please recall the detailed explanation that followed https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/23236451
Yeah. I really shouldn't have let that one go. You're like an old dog with a shoe. The examples that you gave actually didn't lead to the paths utilized by software update manager. The examples we provide DO.
Sorry that it doesn't fall within the temp folder you're looking for.
And regarding your example you cited with the permissions. If you want to go down that path and view the permissions as root, so you'll see that there are varying ownerships as you delve down, be my guest.

Not wasting any more time discussing this with you. Do what you like.

Last edited:

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
@maco55 please:
  1. start your Mac once in safe mode
  2. restart the Mac normally.

If there is an issue with cached data for App Store, then that one safe boot should quickly and reliably clear the offending data.

The examples that you gave actually didn't lead to the paths utilized by software update manager.

Splitting hairs: the explanations that I offered were never intended to lead to that exact point in the required path.

The examples we provide DO.

Shout (uppercase) if you will, but I ask readers here to respect the statements of the opening poster: "Can't find these folders..." and "folder can't be found". The examples provided by fischersd are not entirely reliable.

Not wasting any more time

I'm not concerned about how much time is spent with me, I'm concerned about the repeated spreading of seeds of confusion. Seeds such as:
  • directing users to a folder that in some cases truly, properly, can not be found; and then
  • offering misleading diagnoses such as "If you don't have the directory (and the .dist file within it) then your software updater isn't working properly.".
What's above is necessarily blunt. The earlier topic should have happily cleared up any misunderstanding – note the smiley faces from both parties – it's now disappointing to see the same misunderstandings propagated even further.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
@maco55 please:
  1. start your Mac once in safe mode
  2. restart the Mac normally.

If there is an issue with cached data for App Store, then that one safe boot should quickly and reliably clear the offending data.
What's above is necessarily blunt. The earlier topic should have happily cleared up any misunderstanding – note the smiley faces from both parties – it's now disappointing to see the same misunderstandings propagated even further.
Your lack of attention to detail is impressive. You still haven't read that the OP is on the latest beta (as pointed out by tywebb13). There is no update for them to find. There's nothing wrong with their system.

You are wrong. The path does exist on every system running the Sierra betas - you simply can't seem to grasp that the permissions of the tree aren't recursive from the root.

Andropov

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2012
Spain
Your lack of attention to detail is impressive. You still haven't read that the OP is on the latest beta (as pointed out by tywebb13). There is no update for them to find. There's nothing wrong with their system.

You are wrong. The path does exist on every system running the Sierra betas - you simply can't seem to grasp that the permissions of the tree aren't recursive from the root.

Not in mine. (Developer Beta 6).

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Not in mine. (Developer Beta 6).
Yep, it's there, it's just that you don't have permissions to it (yet). btw - why are you on Beta 6? (you should have updated to Beta 8 by now?)

Anywho. I think what @grahamperin was trying to elude to (but wasn't being clear) is that customizations are required to give the user access to this directory. (something which I forgot about, as we all patched the C folder back when we were updating the first beta).

In terminal, type the command csrutil status
This will tell us if SIP (System Integrity Protection) is enabled. If it is, that means root is crippled and can't change permissions on the directory we need to patch:
/private/var/folders/zz/zyxvpxvq6csfxvn_n00000s0000068/C

If it's enabled, you need to boot in recovery mode, go to a terminal window and type csrutil disable
Then reboot.

Once you've booted up, go to a terminal window and type (or copy/paste from here):

sudo chmod -R 707 /private/var/folders/zz/zyxvpxvq6csfxvn_n00000s0000068/C

Now you'll be able to go the package folder for your update to the latest beta update:

PB7:
/private/var/folders/zz/zyxvpxvq6csfxvn_n00000s0000068/C/softwareupdated/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.SUCatalogDataManager/o/031-74353

DP8:
/private/var/folders/zz/zyxvpxvq6csfxvn_n00000s0000068/C/softwareupdated/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.SUCatalogDataManager/a/031-74355

AND - you should likely boot back into recovery mode and re-enable SIP with the command csrutil enable
as it's really best that it's enabled to protect your system. (the permissions on that folder already patched, you'll be able to look for packages in the future.)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.