Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

srbNYC

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 7, 2020
New York, NY
Just got a second HomePod Mini for the kitchen. They are not paired for stereo -- but I can't seem to get them to play one at a time via the Home app on the iPhone. I tap one in the app, and they both go off; tap it again, and they both go on. Driving me crazy, and just can't figure it out.

I've succeeded in creating one automation that plays in the kitchen without the bedroom, but for any scene I set up, it's both or neither; can't do just one. (E.g., ambient sound in the bedroom for bedtime, but there it is, playing in the kitchen.)

Any suggestions? Is this a bug or a feature? Thanks in advance?

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
Not intended behavior. I suppose there's no chance that one HP is set to airplay to the other one?

srbNYC

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 7, 2020
New York, NY
Thanks, but I don't think so. How would I check for that. (Thanks so much in advance. I'm going crazy.)

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
Easiest way is once they're both playing, go to control center and tap the player widget. On the next screen scroll to the bottom and tap "Control other speakers and TVs"

Find the actively playing device there, tap it, and below should be a list of all airplay-capable speakers. If any are selected, you should be able to deselect them there.

If this isn't the issue, I don't know what to suggest other than removing the new one from the home, waiting 10 mins, then adding it back. Are you seeing both as separate options when you create and edit scenes?

srbNYC

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 7, 2020
New York, NY
Thanks again. I can select them one at a time in the control center, and that works. However, when I try to create a Scene, tapping either HomePod sets them both on or off. Cannot set just one or the other.

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
Thanks again. I can select them one at a time in the control center, and that works. However, when I try to create a Scene, tapping either HomePod sets them both on or off. Cannot set just one or the other.
I think that would be normal behavior in the instance where both HomePods are included in the scene. But when creating (or editing) a scene it should be possible to only include the HomePod(s) that you want to be part of that scene.

Try editing the existing scene and, if both HomePods show up there, scroll down to "Add or Remove Accessories"

Are both HomePods also selected on the next screen? If so, you should be able to de-select the one you don't want to be playing in your scene. That should leave you with only the one HomePod in the scene, then save changes.

Are both HomePods in different HomeKit Rooms?

• Love
Reactions: srbNYC

srbNYC

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 7, 2020
New York, NY
Thank you!! The magic seems to have been in going back into Add or Remove Accessories. My new Mini was automatically included where I had never added it myself. Unticked the item and seems good now.

Reactions: dotme
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.