Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tomkins!

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2012
What OS are they running?

I can’t say handoff between watch and iPad is something I remember using, but I can try.
They're running iOS 10 and WatchOS 3 (latest versions of these operating systems).

Tomkins!

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2012
The watch is supposed to work with iPhones,not iPads.

Handoff works between all iOS and Mac devices equipped with Bluetooth LE.
Watch Handoff even shows up on my Mac.

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2017-06-25 om 22.28.57.png
    Schermafbeelding 2017-06-25 om 22.28.57.png
    35.4 KB · Views: 223

Tomkins!

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2012
You're confusing two features. This is clearly a bug. Handoff and Unlock with Apple Watch are two different features that fall under the Continuity Umbrella.
The Unlock feature was introduced in macOS Sierra and WatchOS 3. I've been able to handoff stuff from my Apple Watch to my Mac since the Apple Watch's introduction (which predates the Unlock feature).

bgrace

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2008
Handoff from my Apple Watch (messages, Apple News) is working with my iPhone, but not iPad. iPhone and iPad have iOS 11 installed, watch has watchOS 4. Are you still having this issue?

Tomkins!

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2012
Handoff from my Apple Watch (messages, Apple News) is working with my iPhone, but not iPad. iPhone and iPad have iOS 11 installed, watch has watchOS 4. Are you still having this issue?

I'm still having this issue. I have also upgraded to iOS 11 and watchOS 4.

Yesterday, I submitted a new bug report (they asked me to check whether it's still an issue on iOS 11 and watchOS 4).

Stefan johansson

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2017
Sweden
Apple Watch has never worked with iPads,it’s not designed to work with iPads. The Apple Watch can only communicate with iPhones.

Tomkins!

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2012
Apple Watch has never worked with iPads,it’s not designed to work with iPads. The Apple Watch can only communicate with iPhones.

Then why does it work with a Mac? Then why has Apple confirmed it’s a bug?
[doublepost=1506100930][/doublepost]
How do you submit a bug report?

Using your Apple ID, you can sign into bugreport.apple.com and submit a bug report.

Last edited:

danny842003

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
What is it you are trying to handoff to the iPad?
I can’t aay I hav ever used it but I could give it a try.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

Tomkins!

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2012
What is it you are trying to handoff to the iPad?
I can’t aay I hav ever used it but I could give it a try.

Try to handoff a message. Open a Messages conversation on your watch, then try to hand it off to your iPad.

And thanks!

danny842003

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
I can confirm it doesn’t work, it’s workig fine with my phone.
I did a google to see if I need to change any settings and got this as the number one hit.

Select “Allow Handoff between this Mac and your iCloud devices.” On iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, go to Settings > General > Handoff, then turn on Handoff. On Apple Watch, open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone, then tap General and turn on Enable Handoff. Apple Watch supports handing off from watch to iPhone only.

This was dated 24th July 2017 so obviously pre IOS11/WOS4

Tomkins!

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2012
12950-7287-150520-Watch-Handoff-Apps-l.jpg
I can confirm it doesn’t work, it’s workig fine with my phone.
I did a google to see if I need to change any settings and got this as the number one hit.

Select “Allow Handoff between this Mac and your iCloud devices.” On iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, go to Settings > General > Handoff, then turn on Handoff. On Apple Watch, open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone, then tap General and turn on Enable Handoff. Apple Watch supports handing off from watch to iPhone only.

This was dated 24th July 2017 so obviously pre IOS11/WOS4

That is really odd. I’ve been able to Handoff things from my Apple Watch to my Mac since 2015. Apple has also confirmed that it’s a bug. I’ll try to record a video of it later.

Last edited:

danny842003

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
I just checked that it works with my mac, i never even knew it was a thing until I read this thread.
I will be interested to see what apple come back with, I have a feeling the email you have received saying it is a bug is someone who is mistaken but hopefully thats not the case.

Tomkins!

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2012
I just checked that it works with my mac, i never even knew it was a thing until I read this thread.
I will be interested to see what apple come back with, I have a feeling the email you have received saying it is a bug is someone who is mistaken but hopefully thats not the case.

They even showed me the error in the logs that I had submitted.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I don't think Apple designed it to work from the AW to the iPad. The AW is an extension of the iPhone and so its tightly integrated to that, and so its not a bug, since its a feature I don't think Apple implemented in the first place.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

Tomkins!

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2012
I hope you’re right I just have a feeling there’s been a mix up.

I'm starting to believe you're right.

In the Watch App on iPhone it reads:
"The required app appears in the App Picker of your iPhone or in the Dock on the Mac."

Why leave out iPad? That's just odd.

Attachments

• IMG_0558.jpg
    IMG_0558.jpg
    409.2 KB · Views: 286

jaugust

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2012
I can confirm that with IOS 10 and WatchOS3, I was able handoff to my iPads from my watch. With IOS11, I am no longer able to handoff despite handoff working from my watch to my iPhone, MacBook and iMacs from the Watch.

Reactions: Tomkins!
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.