Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mitovich

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2015
First timer here, didn't see a recent thread on this topic, thanks in advance for any tips...

I have a current MacBook Air, can't seem to make it recognize an old Sony Handycam that I need to transfer DV tapes from.

I tried a USB to USB cable, no dice. The Handycam also has an "iLink" port, but I don't think MacBooks anymore have a FW port, just Thunderbolt (correct?).

Obviously I could hand this off to a camera store or something for transfer, but I'd prefer to handle myself, get some of these old videos into iMovie. Need to edit some old baby videos into a Mother's Day thing.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

glutenenvy

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
WA

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
First timer here, didn't see a recent thread on this topic, thanks in advance for any tips...

I have a current MacBook Air, can't seem to make it recognize an old Sony Handycam that I need to transfer DV tapes from.

I tried a USB to USB cable, no dice. The Handycam also has an "iLink" port, but I don't think MacBooks anymore have a FW port, just Thunderbolt (correct?).

Obviously I could hand this off to a camera store or something for transfer, but I'd prefer to handle myself, get some of these old videos into iMovie. Need to edit some old baby videos into a Mother's Day thing.

Thoughts?

If USB is still supported for PCs, you could just borrow a friend's PC, download the data, and copy it to your Mac. Seems like less trouble than buying appropriate adapters etc.

Mitovich

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2015
Thank you, everyone!

I got a Belkin 4-pin to 9-pin FW adapter, and the Apple FW to Thunderbolt adapter, problem solved!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.