Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

augu2000

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2008
Hi,

I upgraded my hard drive to an SSD in my 2008 MBP and did a clean install of SL on it. I then installed some apps with no issues, but when trying to install MacTex-2007 (a latex distribution) I encountered a problem. The installation program launches and I can go several steps in, but when I have to select the packages to be installed all of them are greyed out. So I can't install this app at all.

I had previously installed this app in my older hard drive, so I know that it can be installed in SL.

I did a permissions repair on my SSD but it did not help.

Any tips will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Bertrude

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2010
England
Maybe the app is PPC-based and requires Rosetta to run? You could try installing Rosetta to see if it helps. It's part of the 'optional installs' on the SL disc.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Maybe the app is PPC-based and requires Rosetta to run? You could try installing Rosetta to see if it helps. It's part of the 'optional installs' on the SL disc.

I will agree. But you also said that you have a 2007 distribution.
But you shouldn't need the optional rosetta install if you just check for a newer version to download.
MacTeX is now a 2014 version, which should run on anything from 10.5 to 10.9
It is still a free download, so get the updated version. There seems to a be good set of FAQs at the TeX website, just in case you still have problems.
http://www.tug.org/mactex/index.html

augu2000

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2008
Thanks for the responses! I guess I will just download a newer version of MacTex. I probably had Rosetta installed in my machine before the HD upgrade, so I did not notice anything the first time I installed MacTex.

Thanks again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.