Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nnauq

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2016
The Hague, Netherlands
On a new iPad, on iPadOS 15, we can't manage to install GarageBand, as it currently seems to require iPadOS 16 or later. iPadOS 16 has not yet been released (right?) - so how can we download GarageBand now? Is this just a mistake that will be fixed?

Screenshot 2022-09-18 at 20.16.03.png

(GarageBand was not previously downloaded from this Apple ID, so it's not available on the "purchased" list)

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
On a new iPad, on iPadOS 15, we can't manage to install GarageBand, as it currently seems to require iPadOS 16 or later. iPadOS 16 has not yet been released (right?) - so how can we download GarageBand now? Is this just a mistake that will be fixed?
iOS 16 was released last week. Check Settings > General > Software Update.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
As far as I can find, iOS 16 was released, but iPadOS 16 was not.
My apologies, I missed that you were asking about iPadOS. You're right, it won't be released until October apparently.

It should give you an option to download an older version. I tested this just now on my iPad Air 5 running iPadOS 15.7 by deleting and then attempting to re-add it. Here's that prompt:

IMG_0099.jpg

This older version installed without an issue.

nnauq

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2016
The Hague, Netherlands
I think that prompt only appears if you've downloaded/purchased the app before, so not on a new iPad with a new Apple ID. Perhaps a mistake on Apple's side for releasing a version of Garageband only supported on iOS 16 & iPadOS 16, likely for the new iPhones, without considering that iPadOS hasn't been updated yet.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I agree, that's quite an oversight. Yikes. I think it came installed on my Air though, but I can't swear to that. I wonder if contacting Apple Support might help.

appstoreconnect

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2023
It is easy, download newest Garageband on iOS 16 and then you can download old version from App Store on iOS 15 devices.

nnauq

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2016
The Hague, Netherlands
It is easy, download newest Garageband on iOS 16 and then you can download old version from App Store on iOS 15 devices.

Yes, naturally. If you read the original post well, you will see that at that point iOS 16 had not been released for iPad, and so it was a mistake in the App Store listing. Now that iPadOS 16 has been released, that is possible again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.