Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hooshka

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2014
Berkeley, CA
Just got a 15 inch 2018 MacBook Pro and went to install Mojave Public beta. When I click the download link in the App Store, it says "This version of macOS 10.14 cannot be installed on this computer."

I registered the computer in the beta software program.

Anyone have any ideas why it won't let me download and/or install?

Reactions: TimothyR734

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
Just got a 15 inch 2018 MacBook Pro and went to install Mojave Public beta. When I click the download link in the App Store, it says "This version of macOS 10.14 cannot be installed on this computer."

I registered the computer in the beta software program.

Anyone have any ideas why it won't let me download and/or install?

It could be because mojave PB1 and PB2 are older than the new mbp. Maybe PB3 will work on the new mbp when it comes out because then that version of mojave will be newer than the mbp (assuming PB3 will be available as a full installer).

Last edited:

Hooshka

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2014
Berkeley, CA
It could be because mojave PB1 and PB2 are older than the new mbp. Maybe PB3 will work on the new mbp when it comes out because then that version of mojave will be newer than the mbp (assuming PB3 will be available as a full installer).

Thanks...this sounds like a viable hypothesis. Anyone else out there try to install on a new MacBook? Just want to make sure it's not only me.

jesse550

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2018
Thanks...this sounds like a viable hypothesis. Anyone else out there try to install on a new MacBook? Just want to make sure it's not only me.
Same problem here. it's not just you. Super frustrating since I returned my 2017 and grabbed a 2018. My time machine backup was on mojave and isn't supported now that I'm back in high sierra.

I created a bootable usb from my other mbp for mojave and it doesn't work from there either...

Hooshka

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2014
Berkeley, CA
Same problem here. it's not just you. Super frustrating since I returned my 2017 and grabbed a 2018. My time machine backup was on mojave and isn't supported now that I'm back in high sierra.

I created a bootable usb from my other mbp for mojave and it doesn't work from there either...

Thanks for the info. Was going to try the USB, so at least you saved me some time.

m-e

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2015
Seems like it's this way for all new MBP. I discovered this in a video (here)

Hope PB3 will be out by the time I receive my BTO MBPr (scheduled for later this month) !...

afir93

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2018
I wouldn't even think of trying to install Mojave on a brand-new MBP.

I'd just use it with High Sierra for at least a month or two, to be sure everything else was working ok...
I actually feel the opposite, I was too afraid to install Mojave on my daily driver machines yet (namely, a 5K iMac and 12" MB) but I've ordered a 2018 MBP which I might actually install Mojave on sometime during the first few days after its arrival.

My thinking is: firstly the other two machines are my daily drivers right now and while the new MBP will certainly replace them in this function sometime, it's not a device I'd rely on for the first few weeks so I'd have less to worry about with it than with the other two machines. Secondly, if something about the Mojave beta does force me to revert to High Sierra, then it's much easier to re-setup a relatively new machine where I haven't customized and tuned everything yet than on one where I already have all my files and the like on.

jesse550

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2018
I wouldn't even think of trying to install Mojave on a brand-new MBP.

I'd just use it with High Sierra for at least a month or two, to be sure everything else was working ok...
Opposite here. My time machine backups are from mojave on a 2017 mbp which I returned to get the 2018 and now I can't restore it all because of this.

TimothyR734

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2018
Logsden Oregon
Opposite here. My time machine backups are from mojave on a 2017 mbp which I returned to get the 2018 and now I can't restore it all because of this.
macOS Mojave is a new OS as I said you 2018 MacBook is new also so it might not be added to the supported Mac's yet it should be by Public beta 4 Developers beta 4 will be out Tuesday

bradhs

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2010
Bad news everyone ... macOS Mojave Beta 3 Developer does not install on a 2018 MacBook Pro.... Just tried it and getting, "This version of macOS 10.14 cannot be installed on this computer."

I can't migrate until they fix that.
[doublepost=1531630256][/doublepost]Has anyone tried building a USB bootable from their old laptop?

TimothyR734

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2018
Logsden Oregon
Bad news everyone ... macOS Mojave Beta 3 Developer does not install on a 2018 MacBook Pro.... Just tried it and getting, "This version of macOS 10.14 cannot be installed on this computer."

I can't migrate until they fix that.
[doublepost=1531630256][/doublepost]Has anyone tried building a USB bootable from their old laptop?
Being that your 2018 MacBook Pro 2018 is new and macOS Mohave is in the beta phase it might not yet be added to the supported Mac's list yet most likely in beta 4

pshifrin

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
If it makes you feel any better, you can’t reinstall 10.13.6 on a 2018 MBP either! I have a very expensive brick on my desk right now (see thread in MBP forum).

pshifrin

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
I thought in recovery mode it would give you the option to do a clean installation of the macOS that is installed on your MacBook Pro
Normally you can, just not on the 2018 MBP. Something wrong on Apple’s servers side, it’s not downloading. So lets say you attempted to install Mojave beta or erased your MBP in preparation for that, you can’t even re-install 10.13.6 until Apple fixed this. I’m sure it will be done soon.

TimothyR734

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2018
Logsden Oregon
Normally you can, just not on the 2018 MBP. Something wrong on Apple’s servers side, it’s not downloading. So lets say you attempted to install Mojave beta or erased your MBP in preparation for that, you can’t even re-install 10.13.6 until Apple fixed this. I’m sure it will be done soon.
maybe by the time macOS Mojave beta 4 is released your 2018 MacBook Pro will be added to the list of supported Macs

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.