Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nelsonmay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
I am having the worst time trying to install an older OSX on a second drive on 10.13.6. I have a early 2009 Mac Pro 2.23 8 core, yada yada. I need to install DVD Studio Pro with FCP 7. Need to use DVD SP. I have formatted external, internal as well as USB drives and have tried to load Mavericks down to Leopard. The machine came with Leopard install discs. There is absolutely no backwards compatibility. I know you should be able to do this because I am sure I have installed Mavericks before on a boot disc.

I have been all over the apple forums and everything suggested to me has not worked. I am about to pull my hair out. I only have the Snow Leopard Upgrade disc so I can't try them. I have downloaded the Yosemite, Mavericks installers from the Apple Store and I just get an error that I can't load on OS 10.13. Even when I copy the installer to my intended boot drive, it I get a "can't install error".

I am about to pull my hair out.

Things I have done that may affect installs?

1. Formatted all drives with OS Extended Journaled.
2. Flashed the 2009 Bios Mac Pro to run HS. My early 2009 MP couldn't run HS.

Could it be that HS is formatting all my drives and not allowing backwards compatibility? I even loaded a clean drive, put it into the boot drive bay of the Mac Pro and tried to force load old OS versions. The machine wouldn't allow it.

I am pulling my hair out. Is there anything I am missing here? Are there older and 1st generation installer versions of Mavericks etc. that will load as opposed to the one I have downloaded from the App Store?

Cheers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.