Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RJP31484

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 19, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I dont know what caused this... but when I just tried to create/join a new network on my imac G5, I dot have the options I used to. IT used to be that when I clicked dont the airport icon, it showed a list of available networks, and then "other" and "create network". I dont see this there now. could this have been cause by installing the latest update to OSX?

RJP31484

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 19, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
here you go:

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    30 KB · Views: 49

RJP31484

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 19, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
well.. that is what im TRYING to do... Im trying to share my ethernet internet connection to my GF's ibook. I did it before, and now cant get it to work. WHat have I done wrong?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Sorry, start at the beginning, I'm a bit slow. You get the internet onto your iMac wirelessly and you want to forward it onto the iBook through ethernet?

RJP31484

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 19, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
haha.. sorry.. looking back it is worded strangely. I connect with a cable modem, and want to share the connection wirelessly to the ibook.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Gotcha. Well, firstly I strongly recommend a cheap router because these things are generally a pain to set up and they're designed for temporary use which means each time you sleep one of the machines you must reconfigure.

Nevertheless, there are a few things you can check if it's not working. Firstly, go to the Sharing section in System Preferences and under Internet, make sure AirPort is checked and Internet Sharing is turned on. Configure this on both machines. :)

RJP31484

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 19, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
This is only till I get a router.. but I KNOW last time I did this, we could turn her laptop off and at any point turn it on, and have it work no problem.(also.. why dont I have that"other" option?) anyway, it is configured as you said on the imac, and on the ibook, under services, "personal web sharing" is checked.

RJP31484

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 19, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
its ok... yeah, I dont know what im doing wrong. It really bugs me that those other options arent in my toolbar thingy. Oh well.. time to go pick up my girlfriend from work and tell her I failed to get it working... she'll be upset im sure as I promised her for the past few days, and now that I get down to it I cant...:mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.