Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gary King

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
For some reason, since recently (perhaps even today, after installing the MacOS 10.13.3 Supplemental Update), I can't launch "Time Machine.app" to enter the Time Machine file restore interface.

When I double-click the app, nothing happens. It doesn't appear in Activity Monitor, etc.

What should I try, in order to fix this?

As mentioned above, I'm running MacOS 10.13.3, so the very latest version. It's on a Mac Mini, with a Time Machine drive connected via USB, which I've been using for months and still has plenty of free space available.

techwarrior

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2009
Colorado
Start with a PRAM reset, reboot and hold OPT+CMD+P+R. I usually do this 2X and then let it boot normal on third cycle. Hold the key combo when you hear the boot chime, and until it reboots again, repeating a couple of times.

If that doesn't clear it, re-install the OS from the recovery partition. Don't reformat, just go into the installer and let it download from the internet, all apps, settings, files, etc will be preserved but if any system files were corrupted, this will resolve it. The installer will look for the release that matches what you currently have installed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.