Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eboychik

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 19, 2003
NJ USA
After an update today, my system preferences application won’t open. I have run disk utility (no problems), reinstalled the OS, (still can’t open the app), and run Onyx to clean preferences, but it still won’t open. Anyone else? Or: anyone have any suggestions?

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
My first thought was to log into a different (Mac) user account and try opening System Preferences from there, in order to see if the issue lies within your user account. Do you have another user account on the Mac? (I don't mean a different Apple ID.) If so, try to open System Preferences app from there.

If that works, then the issue is related to your usual user account. It could be with the ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systempreferences.plist file. Most apps will recreate their preferences plist file if it's missing (or moved) when the app is started, though I haven't tried it with System Preferences.app.

Of course, if you don't already have a second user account, now you can't (easily) create one! It could be done using 'dscl' commands, but I'm not sure of the exact steps required.

Reactions: eboychik

P K

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2023
I'm having the same issue - iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) with Monterey 12.7.4 beta, updated on 2/23. Some icons aren't appearing in the Dock and in Launchpad, and System Preferences crashes as soon as I open it. I've tried to run it in Safe Mode with no luck, and replacing the plist file doesn't work either. I really don't want to have to reinstall everything to try to fix it, and am hoping Apple fixes it in their next beta.

Last edited:

P K

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2023
The good news is that the Monterey update that was released today mostly fixed the icon issues in the Dock and Launchpad, but System Preferences still won't load. I'll try it in Safe Mode and see if I have any luck.

P K

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2023
Thanks to Brian33's ideas above, I was able to find a Terminal command that can be used to create a guest account ("sysadminctl -guestAccount on" (has to be run as root)), and I was able to switch over to the guest account and open System Preferences there. That does seem to seem to indicate that the issue with System Preferences lies within my regular user account, which does narrow things down but means I probably have a ton more troubleshooting to do due to corrupt settings or a conflict somewhere. Sigh....

Reactions: Brian33

anshuvorty

macrumors 68040
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA
Thanks to Brian33's ideas above, I was able to find a Terminal command that can be used to create a guest account ("sysadminctl -guestAccount on" (has to be run as root)), and I was able to switch over to the guest account and open System Preferences there. That does seem to seem to indicate that the issue with System Preferences lies within my regular user account, which does narrow things down but means I probably have a ton more troubleshooting to do due to corrupt settings or a conflict somewhere. Sigh....
I think you can also safely reinstall macOS without losing your data if you follow the steps below:
  • boot into macoS Recovery
  • click on reinstall macOS
  • then, let the process finish and log back into your account and test if you can load System Preferences

Reactions: P K

P K

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2023
I think you can also safely reinstall macOS without losing your data if you follow the steps below:
  • boot into macoS Recovery
  • click on reinstall macOS
  • then, let the process finish and log back into your account and test if you can load System Preferences
Thanks so much for your suggestions - I appreciate it! Thankfully, I didn't have to take those steps as I was able to fix the issue unexpectedly. I tried a number of things that didn't work, but I *think* what did it was logging into the Guest account and deleting two preference panes that were 32-bit and no longer worked (MS Mouse and MacFUSE). I then logged back into my regular account and System Preferences opened without issue! Hopefully this helps the OP and anyone else who comes across this issue.

Reactions: Brian33

jtskinz

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2011
P K or Brian33 I have the same issue on Monterey 12.7.4. I was able to follow the steps above to create the Guest user account and System Preferences worked (on Guest). I then was able to run the macOS update to 12.7.5 which did NOT fix the System Preferences on my account. I tried looking for 32-bit applications but, I didn't see any (https://itsnews.widener.edu/how-to-check-for-32-bit-apps-macos/). Any other suggestions on how to find out what plist is causing the issue?

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
and deleting two preference panes that were 32-bit and no longer worked (MS Mouse and MacFUSE).
@P K thinks deleting some outdated preference panes might have fixed the issue for him.

I suggest you log into the problem user account and look in ~/Library/PreferencePanes (the ~ means your home directory), and also in the system level folder /Library/PreferencePanes. These locations are meant to contain third-party (non-Apple) preference panes.

On my Monterey system, both those folders exist, but are empty. Move out any files you find to a temporary place. You might have to log out and in again, then try System Preferences again.

jtskinz

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2011
@P K thinks deleting some outdated preference panes might have fixed the issue for him.

I suggest you log into the problem user account and look in ~/Library/PreferencePanes (the ~ means your home directory), and also in the system level folder /Library/PreferencePanes. These locations are meant to contain third-party (non-Apple) preference panes.

On my Monterey system, both those folders exist, but are empty. Move out any files you find to a temporary place. You might have to log out and in again, then try System Preferences again.
Not much luck. May try the restore to original OS and then upgrade back. I also have a MacBook Pro perhaps I can just do a transfer from it. May be quicker and less steps?

jskin$ cd ~/Library/PreferencePanes

-bash: cd: /Users/jskin/Library/PreferencePanes: No such file or directory

BGPoS-10:preferencePanes jskin$ cd /Library/PreferencePanes

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
I'm about out of ideas. The plist file idea is really just a guess, but has sometimes been an issue for other applications. On my Monterey system the user-level plist file for System Preferences is located at:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systempreferences.plist

You could try moving that to your desktop (just in case you need to put it back). Then trying System Preferences again. It will probably re-create the file.

Reactions: madrich and jtskinz

jtskinz

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2011
I'm about out of ideas. The plist file idea is really just a guess, but has sometimes been an issue for other applications. On my Monterey system the user-level plist file for System Preferences is located at:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systempreferences.plist

You could try moving that to your desktop (just in case you need to put it back). Then trying System Preferences again. It will probably re-create the file.
A reinstall of Monterey corrected the issue. A disk erase and then a restore to be more precise.

Reactions: madrich
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.