Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bokmap

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2018
Philippines
Dear friends,

I have a late Mac Book Pro late 2011s 17" and upgraded to high sierra yesterday.. sad to say.
The reason I wanted to upgrade was due to the fact that I have a strange functioning WiFi, i.e. the network it finds, but then the drop down becomes larger and shows many other items relating more to the status of the internet etc and then the computer does not functioning anymore as it should, i.e. can't scroll or create word documents.

I upgraded to High Sierra, as I was advised my first issue was due to the the older version sierra. After the down load I can't see my username, and I read last night that the issue is a bug in the Filefault. I went recovery mode wishing to go back to day before, but time machine does not find files, and again this is likely due to High Sierra.

I have the terminal open, but I have tried finding COMMANDS relating to this issue, so that my username will appear again. I cannot make change to privacy settings etc as I am not able to login.

any ideas what I should do, and how this should be done in details please. I am not a computer whiz (62 year young :)

Thanks all

Kind regards

Peter

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Get an ethernet cable and plug it into the back of your router.
Can you connect that way?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Dear friends,

I have a late Mac Book Pro late 2011s 17" and upgraded to high sierra yesterday.. sad to say.
The reason I wanted to upgrade was due to the fact that I have a strange functioning WiFi, i.e. the network it finds, but then the drop down becomes larger and shows many other items relating more to the status of the internet etc and then the computer does not functioning anymore as it should, i.e. can't scroll or create word documents.
It sounds like your option key may be stuck. It’s normal to see extra WiFi information if you hold option and click on the WiFi menu. The option key being stuck would also cause you problems with your password.

bokmap

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2018
Philippines
Get an ethernet cable and plug it into the back of your router.
Can you connect that way?
I will do that once I can login to my laptop... thanks for that idea....
[doublepost=1534119738][/doublepost]
It sounds like your option key may be stuck. It’s normal to see extra WiFi information if you hold option and click on the WiFi menu. The option key being stuck would also cause you problems with your password.
The issue is that is does connect to WiFi, but then after a while the drop down becomes very large... which then kind of freezes some functions.... I was told its the OS issue and for that reason I upgraded to high sierra not knowing it will create major issue for me... thanks for the comment though....

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
The issue is that is does connect to WiFi, but then after a while the drop down becomes very large... which then kind of freezes some functions.... I was told its the OS issue and for that reason I upgraded to high sierra not knowing it will create major issue for me... thanks for the comment though....
I don't understand what you mean by "the drop down becomes very large". Does it look like the 2nd image of the menu on this page? https://christianboyce.com/option-key-tip-1-airport-menu/

bokmap

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2018
Philippines
I don't understand what you mean by "the drop down becomes very large". Does it look like the 2nd image of the menu on this page? https://christianboyce.com/option-key-tip-1-airport-menu/
If one "clicks" on WiFi icon top right, under normal circumstances, one would see the net work connected too... normally its just a small drop down..... but after a while it enlarges and one see SSD, and other speed information and IP address (all in grey out form)... that is what I meant the drop down menu is very large... LONG is the better phrase...sorry

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
If one "clicks" on WiFi icon top right, under normal circumstances, one would see the net work connected too... normally its just a small drop down..... but after a while it enlarges and one see SSD, and other speed information and IP address (all in grey out form)... that is what I meant the drop down menu is very large... LONG is the better phrase...sorry
Did you look at the link I sent? The 2nd image is what you see when you hold the option key. Does it look like what you see on your own computer?

bokmap

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2018
Philippines
Did you look at the link I sent? The 2nd image is what you see when you hold the option key. Does it look like what you see on your own computer?
The second screenshot of your link.. with regards to the WiFi is the one that I see on mine, and freezes up functionalities then,,,,however... right now... I cant even get to that due to High Sierra issue... thanks

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
The second screenshot of your link.. with regards to the WiFi is the one that I see on mine, and freezes up functionalities then,,,,however... right now... I cant even get to that due to High Sierra issue... thanks
Ok, so again, that only shows up when your option key is being held down. Your keyboard may be faulty.

bokmap

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2018
Philippines
Ok, so again, that only shows up when your option key is being held down. Your keyboard may be faulty.
ok noted... but at first it connects fine... so you are saying this happens automatically after a while... am not pressing any key board for connecting... its automatic...
[doublepost=1534122152][/doublepost]
I do not have password issues.... never had as a note... only now can't see my username login in and only a generic user... and it states UPDATE NEEDED... thanks again.. for your prompt response though

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
ok noted... but at first it connects fine... so you are saying this happens automatically after a while... am not pressing any key board for connecting... its automatic...
It's possible, I guess. Do you have any external devices connected to the computer? (Bluetooth/USB/etc.)

bokmap

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2018
Philippines
Hope someone can resolve my LOGIN issue High Sierra... generic user showing...and not my own..using the TERMINAL as its in recovery mode right now... thanks everyone
[doublepost=1534122259][/doublepost]
It's possible, I guess. Do you have any external devices connected to the computer? (Bluetooth/USB/etc.)
no I do not ...tx

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hope someone can resolve my LOGIN issue High Sierra... generic user showing...and not my own..using the TERMINAL as its in recovery mode right now... thanks everyone
In terminal, enter exactly this )be certain to include the quotes)
Code:
rm "/Volumes/Macintosh HD/var/db/.AppleSetupDone"
Then restart the computer, this should cause the computer to re-run the setup assistant. Then make a new account that has a different name than the original account you're trying to use.
Assuming that worked, you should then be able to go into System Preferences, find your previous account, and set that as an administrator and/or reset the password.
If the disk is encrypted with Filevault this probably will not work, and you won't be able to decrypt the drive.

bokmap

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2018
Philippines
In terminal, enter exactly this )be certain to include the quotes)
Code:
rm "/Volumes/Macintosh HD/var/db/.AppleSetupDone"
Then restart the computer, this should cause the computer to re-run the setup assistant. Then make a new account that has a different name than the original account you're trying to use.
Assuming that worked, you should then be able to go into System Preferences, find your previous account, and set that as an administrator and/or reset the password.
If the disk is encrypted with Filevault this probably will not work, and you won't be able to decrypt the drive.
will try that... but as you said..if encrypted..its n issue... will advise later thanks again

bokmap

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2018
Philippines
will try that... but as you said..if encrypted..its n issue... will advise later thanks again
I typed it and it entered.no message at all..assuming it worked... so will restart now yes? tc
[doublepost=1534143554][/doublepost]still got the GENERIC USER after I placed the command you stated to use in Terminal... ? tc

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

Did you try connecting via an ethernet cable yet?
The idea of trying it is to see if you can get online and up to speed, without any problems that might be related to wifi...

Reactions: MSastre
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.