Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
I'm struggling. I really want to get back into music production which I haven't done for 20 years but the software I used (Cubase) doesn't seem to really be recommended. I see lots of people talk about Abelton and FL Studio and some Logic recommendations but I'm not sure which is a good choice.

I'll mainly be making blackwave and darkwave.

shaunclarke04

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2022
They/Them ⬜️??⬛️
Id suggest doing stuff with garage band, it sounds basic. But it’s basically a simplified version of logic. If you like garage band then you’ll like logic. I’ve heard good things about protools too.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"I really want to get back into music production which I haven't done for 20 years but the software I used (Cubase) doesn't seem to really be recommended."

Well, I'll recommend Cubase.
Of all the DAW's I checked, Cubase seemed to have the best "mix" combining both power and ease-of-use.

I have not seen ANY DAW that matches Cubase in editing.
Copying/moving a piece of a clip is child's play.

Also, Steinberg does a nice job of integrating their hardware and software.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
"I really want to get back into music production which I haven't done for 20 years but the software I used (Cubase) doesn't seem to really be recommended."

Well, I'll recommend Cubase.
Of all the DAW's I checked, Cubase seemed to have the best "mix" combining both power and ease-of-use.

I have not seen ANY DAW that matches Cubase in editing.
Copying/moving a piece of a clip is child's play.

Also, Steinberg does a nice job of integrating their hardware and software.
Thank you. I'll look up some reviews. I think the main reason I was told not to use it was the dongle but that seems to have been removed now so maybe now I really should look into Cubase again.

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
If you are going to be recording your own real instruments, it's mostly about personal preference.
If you're going to be solely 'in the box', there's nothing out there that can touch Logic when you look at what you get for your money. I'm basically in the Apple ecosystem because of Logic. By the time you cost-up the price of an equivalent-performance Windows system, then add on the price of a DAW + plugins that give you what a Mac + Logic give you out of the box, you surpass the price of a Mac + Logic.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
If you are going to be recording your own real instruments, it's mostly about personal preference.
If you're going to be solely 'in the box', there's nothing out there that can touch Logic when you look at what you get for your money. I'm basically in the Apple ecosystem because of Logic. By the time you cost-up the price of an equivalent-performance Windows system, then add on the price of a DAW + plugins that give you what a Mac + Logic give you out of the box, you surpass the price of a Mac + Logic.
Does Logic Pro allow you to use all the Garageband plugins as well as its own plugins?

ZillaG

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2012
Pro Tools is subscription based now, though the Pro Tools Artist in only $100/year. Avid doesn't offer the free Pro Tools First anymore, at least it's not on their web site.

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
Avid doesn't offer the free Pro Tools First anymore, at least it's not on their web site.
Gotta say, no great loss. It was nothing but a gateway product. Some could argue so is GarageBand. But at least with GarageBand, you can store projects locally, use third-party plugins (as well as the thousands of presets and loops already included for free), you have more or less unlimited tracks (unless you think 256 is a limit), and you can save more than four projects.

On the flip side, $9.99 a month is arguably not a bad price to rent ProTools Artist, were it not for the fact that a one-time purchase of Logic Pro for $200 absolutely crushes it. Stereo only (no surround or Atmos). No video support, so you can't even pull a video file into it to edit the audio! Even GarageBand can do that. Plus there is a 32-track limit on any track type. EDIT Though it comes with Melodyne Essentials so that's the rapping-community sorted...

Last edited:

ZillaG

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2012
Gotta say, no great loss. It was nothing but a gateway product. Some could argue so is GarageBand. But at least with GarageBand, you can store projects locally, use third-party plugins (as well as the thousands of presets and loops already included for free), you have more or less unlimited tracks (unless you think 256 is a limit), and you can save more than four projects.

On the flip side, $9.99 a month is arguably not a bad price to rent ProTools Artist, were it not for the fact that a one-time purchase of Logic Pro for $200 absolutely crushes it. Stereo only (no surround or Atmos). No video support, so you can't even pull a video file into it to edit the audio! Even GarageBand can do that. Plus there is a 32-track limit on any track type. EDIT Though it comes with Melodyne Essentials so that's the rapping-community sorted...
Yeah, a $199 Logic Pro is a no brainer. That's what I have now.

Reactions: MajorFubar

rondo

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2007
Logic Pro has 90 days trial, plenty of time to see if it suıts you. (Just make sure to activate the advanced options in preferences the you try it)

Cubase is awesome and probably the most featured one but you wouldn't be using most of its stuff due to the genre you make. It lost popularity due to price, dongle and being uncracked for years. So it lost its widespread use.

Ableton Live is also great. Especially if you plan to do sound design and creative audio editing also if you decide to transfer your songs to stage.

You can not go wrong with any of them. All of them are capable to serve you for the music you do.
It all depends which one clicks with you. All have demo versions.

Reactions: MajorFubar

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
Tried most and the only one I could not gel with is Ableton Live. Yet I would guess it's probably by far the most popular cross-platform DAW outside of large studios (which are nearly all entrenched in their ways of running ProTools rigs, because they always have since moving to DAWs and that category of business can't afford to risk-take.)

Mostly you can get the same results with them all. It's down to what you like.

Reactions: rondo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.