Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tootalltom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2009
I'm suddenly unable to drag and drop mail folders to rearrange their sequence. The blue indicator bar appears and moves when I drag but the folder doesn't move when I attempt to drop it in the new location. I can drag and drop a folder into another folder to nest it but when I drag it out and attempt to place it, it is instead placed at the top of the folder list. From there I can only nest the folder - can't place it elsewhere in the folder list. I can create new mail folders but they behave the same as existing ones. I'm accessing a Gmail account in Mail 10.3 on a MacBook Pro running Sierra 10.12.6. I have rebooted and re-opened Mail but problem persists. Thanks in advance for any help.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Not sure if this is your problem.... but Gmail IMAP accounts seem to be setup in Mac Mail to reflect what they show on the server. I keep two Gmail accounts.... one IMAP, the other POP. I can drag and drop and move my folders every which way with the POP account but not the IMAP account. Of course I may be doing something wrong, so you might want to wait for input from other members who might have a solution.

tootalltom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2009
Thanks chscag. My Gmail account is IMAP. If the folders were mirroring what appear in GMAIL then they should remain in alphabetical order but as I said, when I move a folder out from being nested, Mail pops it to the top the list regardless of its spelling. Plus, I WAS able to rearrange the folders in Mail as I desired. Oddly, when I create a new rule in mail, the drop down of folders that appear IS in alphabetical order and does not reflect the order in the Mail sidebar. I'm working with Apple Support to troubleshoot. Will report back what we find out.

tootalltom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2009
How long have you waited? It may end up alphabetical in a while.

Brian - I set up a test user account and accessed my Gmail from it to see if it was perhaps something with my user account but still had the same problem. Reinstalled the OS at Apple Support's suggestion but still same issue. I'm beginning to question whether I was ever able to rearrange the folders! LOL. I'll create a new folder and have it pop to the top and leave it over night to see if it reorders. thx

tootalltom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2009
This is in Apple Mail accessing Gmail, etc. right?
I'm running High Sierra and have no problem rearranging mailboxes

I'm running Sierra but good to know. Can't imagine they'd be different. And I WAS able to move them before, so something's up.

Steve Dodds

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2015
Hello,
I'm wondering if you found a fix for this. I am having exactly the same problem - suddenly I can't drag my gmail folders around in Mac Mail.
I have an iMac and a Macbook Pro, both from 2011, both now running High Sierra 10.13.6. Same issue for both - the folders seem to be locked in whatever order they were after I last reordered them (a few months ago maybe).
Thanks

rcgregory

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2008
Hello,
I'm wondering if you found a fix for this. I am having exactly the same problem - suddenly I can't drag my gmail folders around in Mac Mail.
I have an iMac and a Macbook Pro, both from 2011, both now running High Sierra 10.13.6. Same issue for both - the folders seem to be locked in whatever order they were after I last reordered them (a few months ago maybe).
Thanks
I just noticed this same issue. I'm on 11.1 and the same behavior happens with folders created "on my mac" in mail, that is, folders that are not connected via imap. Seems like a bug.

JenK

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2023
I have all the same issues as per the chats above. Has anyone managed to find a solution?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.