Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phil5556

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2019
Hi

I use Google calendar and some appointments have addresses in, clicking on them will open Google maps to navigate to them - perfect.

But if I try and do the same, using the same appointment in Apple Calendar the address shows but I can't click on it to open navigation in Apple Maps.

Is there something I'm doing wrong or.......?

Cheers

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
This works correctly for me with Apple Calendar and Maps, so I'm wondering a couple of things:

- Are location suggestions enabled in your Calendar settings?
- Are you entering the address in the Calendar Location field?
- Does the address show correctly when you enter it in Apple Maps as a test?
- In the Calendar event, do you see the map below the event info?

Phil5556

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2019
Thanks for your reply. I’ve just done another test. If I create a new event in Google Calendar, the location works properly and will launch Google Maps. If I then go to the event in the Apple Calendar app it will show the location address under the event title BUT it is not clickable. There’s also no map at the bottom of the page. Like so:

2AEA6AB4-5F73-47F3-BA71-BA1D5E231753.jpeg

If I create an event using Apple Calendar app it will work as expected, I.e. when I start to type an address it suggests locations for me to select, I pick one and it then has the location in red and the map at the bottom of the screen. If I then go to Google Calendar the location works fine in there and will launch G Maps.

B5490EB3-BBE6-4E6D-A1E5-0374F6C93D8C.jpeg

In answer to your questions
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes it created in Apple cal, no if created in Google cal.

Addresses sent in Calendar invites also don’t work as they are handled by Google.

I’ve only just noticed this as I’ve started using CarPlay and is a really handy feature when it works.

cheers & sorry that ended up a bit long!

Reactions: dk001 and 0128672

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
I use Google Calendar with the Calendar app, i've noticed that when i enter something and save it via the Google Calendar website if i put the address in there then it doesnt work, if i save it then edit it on my iPhone\iPad to enter the address then it works fine.

Its almost like the format that its saved in Google Calendar doesnt work with Calendar. I use the same function with CarPlay like you do to choose events in the Calendar app on CarPlay and then navigate to the address so it is annoying. I've just got into the habit of only adding the address for entries on the iPhone.

Phil5556

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2019
@bransoj thanks, I guess it’s a “feature” then.

I’ve actually found a pretty good work around. I came across a shortcut that looks up your next calendar appointments, then asks you which one you’d like to navigate to. You can set it to either use Google or Apple Maps and using either one it finds the addresses properly. Activated by Siri in the car :)

If you could add shortcuts to the CarPlay screen it would be perfect.

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
I've seen a similar shortcut and think i had it installed but kept forgetting it was there. I've just got into the habit of adding addresses via the calendar app on the phone.

I've assumed its the way that Google Calendar saves the address details. I've a nagging feeling it used to work so not sure if something changed somewhere.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I can't get the situation to not work. If I add an event and location using the Google Calendar app OR the Google website…when I open the event in iOS 13.5 Calendar and click on the location, iOS Maps opens to the location.

I'm jailbroken but don't have any tweaks that would apply to this situation.

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
I can't get the situation to not work. If I add an event and location using the Google Calendar app OR the Google website…when I open the event in iOS 13.5 Calendar and click on the location, iOS Maps opens to the location.

I'm jailbroken but don't have any tweaks that would apply to this situation.
Still doesnt work for me. I added an event via the Google Calendar website and added a location in there by typing and selecting the location from the search box that shows. Checked on my phone and its got the full address but its not clickable and no map shows on the calendar entry. Also does the same if i copy and paste a full address in there rather than selecting from the search box that Google Calendar website shows.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
It very well may be that something associated with my jailbreak is making it work. i don't have any tweaks installed specific to Maps, Google Maps, or Calendar.

My Google account is a free, grandfathered GSuite one and was added to the phone using the standard Google account method.

I've never noticed any settings at Google that would obviously affect location entries one way or the other.

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
I've just got a basic Google account that i use for Gmail, Google Calendar and Google Contacts. I set it up when i had my iPhone 3GS years ago and have used it ever since. Just set up as an account on my phone using the Google option and then enable mail, calendar and contacts to be used.

I'm fairly sure it used to work but then i spotted it happening when i got a new car with CarPlay and started using the location option more as it picked it up on CarPlay automatically to ask me if i wanted to navigate to a location in a calendar entry when i started CarPlay plus more recently the addition of the Calendar option in CarPlay. I dont think i changed anything within Google or my iPhone to stop it working. The only way the location will work properly showing as clickable and the map view is if i enter the location via my iPhone or iPad.
[automerge]1592573483[/automerge]
Found this post on the Apple forums which may be linked in some way....something to do with it not working via Exchange backed calendars which could be the case here.

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
Right...i've sort of fixed it for me. I went to the Google account under Accounts & Passwords in settings and turned off Calendar leaving just Mail and Contacts switched on and confirmed i wanted to delete all the calendar stuff off my phone. I then set up a new account to sync using Caldav instead of the Google option. Entered www.google.com as the server then my google account username (email address) and password (had to create an app password to use as i have 2FA turned on for logging into my account) and then just a description and clicked Next and it verified the login info.

You then need to go to https://calendar.google.com/calendar/syncselect either on your phone, ipad, PC etc and tick the calendars you need to sync. Mine were already ticked so it may not be neccessary.

Then opened the calendar on my phone and it downloaded all my calendar events again. I created an entry on Google Calendar via the website on my PC entering a location by typing it and then selecting it from the search box that comes up. When it synced to my phone it didnt show a map but did show the address in red and was clickable and loads in Apple Maps when clicked.
[automerge]1592575526[/automerge]
Interestingly my iPad is rather old so stuck on iOS 9.3.5 and is set to sync using the standard Google account option with Mail, Contacts and Calendars all ticked and this shows the addresses as clickable in red on calendar entries. This suggests its something that changed in a later version of iOS to stop it working.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phil5556

Phil5556

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2019
I think we need a few more people using a Google-based calendar to post their results…if the OP cares anymore.

yes I do still care, sorry for some reason I didn’t get email notifications for this thread ??‍♂️

Phil5556

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2019
Right...i've sort of fixed it for me. I went to the Google account under Accounts & Passwords in settings and turned off Calendar leaving just Mail and Contacts switched on and confirmed i wanted to delete all the calendar stuff off my phone. I then set up a new account to sync using Caldav instead of the Google option. Entered www.google.com as the server then my google account username (email address) and password (had to create an app password to use as i have 2FA turned on for logging into my account) and then just a description and clicked Next and it verified the login info.

Thanks for trying but I’ve just done this and it didn’t work for me. Events show up exactly the same way, with the address shown but not clickable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.