Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimmysofat6864

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 7, 2018
Hi there

Every so often when I close my computer and put it in my bag and take it back out, I am unable to one finger open the display. When I lift my finger it lifts the whole computer off of the desk. I have tried using a cloth with water to clean the rubber gasket around the screen but that didn’t seem to help. Does anybody have some other ideas on how I can fix this? This started to happen after I did the delimitation treatment and I used Clorox wipes and baby wipes onto the display to peel off the anti glare coating.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
Maybe you got your cleaning solution in the hinges. You can search here or elsewhere for tips on how the lubricate them.

If it's really the gasket, you can probably coat it with something, but I haven't seen what.

Reggaenald

Suspended
Sep 26, 2021
It’s probably the hinges. My MacBooks all had this problem out the box, and although the rubber made/makes sounds when opening the lid, I can’t see that being the reason why.

How did the cleaning go?

jimmysofat6864

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 7, 2018
I just want to see if there is something that can be applied to the gasket to make it not get stuck to the top case.

jimmysofat6864

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 7, 2018
Use two fingers... :mad:
I’ve been doing that but the space to put your fingers into is quite small and what I’ve been doing is putting my fingernail in the top right and left of the screen to open it but I feel like it might damage the display so I’m wondering if there’s something I can apply to the gasket to make it open normally as I feel like the gasket it sticking to the top case.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:
"I just want to see if there is something that can be applied to the gasket to make it not get stuck to the top case."

I think you're playin' with fire here.
What if the substance you use, starts to eat into the sprayed-on anti-glare coating over the display...?

Like I said above (and I was serious):
If you can't open it with one finger, use two.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"Sounds like he already removed the coatings."

Ah, yes, I see now. That's what happens when you get old.

I still wouldn't recommend putting anything "on there". Could react with the gasket, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.