Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RandmTask

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2009
Hi have just installed High Sierra and having issues with apps

For example trying to open Google Chrome and it says:
Google Chrome cannot read and write to its data directory /Users/x/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome

Plex Media Player won't open
Plex Media Server won't open
Safari can't search from the search bar but can go to a website
Transmission opens but has lost all its download history and partial downloads

In the Application Support Directory many of the folders are locked and these are all Zero bytes in size (such as "Google".
If I try to go into one of these directories it says:
The folder “Google” can’t be opened because you don’t have permission to see its contents.

Although I am logged in as Administrator

Tried reinstalling Google Chrome. Tried SMC reset and PRAM reset which didn't help

Any ideas whats going on?

Thanks

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
It sounds like maybe you have some utility installed that is no compatible with High Sierra.

Try rebooting while holding the shift key to boot to safe mode. That will stop all launch and startup items from running. Does it work okay then?

If it does, reboot to regular mode and run the utility Etrecheck. It will create an anonymized report showing everything running. Post the report here and we can take a look for you.

mhoutman

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2016
Hi have just installed High Sierra and having issues with apps

For example trying to open Google Chrome and it says:
Google Chrome cannot read and write to its data directory /Users/x/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome

Plex Media Player won't open
Plex Media Server won't open
Safari can't search from the search bar but can go to a website
Transmission opens but has lost all its download history and partial downloads

In the Application Support Directory many of the folders are locked and these are all Zero bytes in size (such as "Google".
If I try to go into one of these directories it says:
The folder “Google” can’t be opened because you don’t have permission to see its contents.

Although I am logged in as Administrator

Tried reinstalling Google Chrome. Tried SMC reset and PRAM reset which didn't help

Any ideas whats going on?

Thanks

You don't have this issue ? https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8092951

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.