Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

YahonMaizosz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 28, 2007
I need help.

Just purchased the brand new 2014 Mac Mini and updated it to 10.10.2.

After update, suddenly I am unable to open "System Preferences" from;
1. The :apple: Apple Icon Drop Down Menu
2. And anything system preference related menu (i.e.Clock, Wallpaper, etc..)

The only way to launch "System Preferences" is to actually go to the application folder and click it manually.

What is causing this? :confused:
How can I fix it? :(

Thank you in advance.. :)

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I need help.

Just purchased the brand new 2014 Mac Mini and updated it to 10.10.2.

After update, suddenly I am unable to open "System Preferences" from;
1. The :apple: Apple Icon Drop Down Menu
2. And anything system preference related menu (i.e.Clock, Wallpaper, etc..)

The only way to launch "System Preferences" is to actually go to the application folder and click it manually.

What is causing this? :confused:
How can I fix it? :(

Thank you in advance.. :)

Try repairing permissions.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK

Attachments

• grab.png
    grab.png
    133.4 KB · Views: 1,239

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
Hi,

Applications / Utilities / Disk Utility

Select Macintosh HD on the left, click "Repair the permissions", wait for the process to complete.
Then restart the machine.
Please report back.

MCSN

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2012
Kayenta
restart in safe mode. restart in general can get you out of a finder hang or crash. repair permissions. again. create new login like stated. what were u doing when the finder crashed, it said u updated, you might have an incomplete installation if something went wrong in the update.

YahonMaizosz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 28, 2007
Create a new user, login in to the new user and see if you can open system preferences.

I am able to go into "System Preferences" from :apple: Top-Left Drop Down Menu and literally anywhere else from the GUEST user (Wallpaper, Dock, Time, etc..) :eek:

But when I went back into my primary account, still no luck..
The only way to get into "System Preferences" is from the main application itself.. :(

----------

restart in safe mode. restart in general can get you out of a finder hang or crash. repair permissions. again. create new login like stated. what were u doing when the finder crashed, it said u updated, you might have an incomplete installation if something went wrong in the update.

I have a 100% complete installation because the problem occurred only last night and I frankly don't know what caused it.

The Mac Mini is brand new (2 days old).

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I am able to go into "System Preferences" from :apple: Top-Left Drop Down Menu and literally anywhere else from the GUEST user (Wallpaper, Dock, Time, etc..) :eek:

But when I went back into my primary account, still no luck..
The only way to get into "System Preferences" is from the main application itself.. :(

What this means is that your account is corrupted some how. You will need to recreate your account again. Try these steps:

• Open the terminal app and enter: chflags nohidden ~/Library
  • Create a new admin user.
  • Logout of your account.
  • Login into the new admin user.
  • In the termial app and enter: sudo mv /Users/<your account> /Users/<your account>_sav

Replace <your account> with the name of your account. If your account name is bob then the command would be: sudo mv /Users/bob /Users/bob_sav
  • Goto system preferences->users and groups.
  • Delete your account. Not to worry you renamed it in the steps above.
  • Add your account back in.

Make sure if your account is an admin account create it as an admin account.
  • Logout of the new user admin account.
  • Login into your account again.
  • Open the terminal app and enter: chgflags nohidden ~/Library

You will need to setup your account again. All your previous data is in /Users in the "_sav" folder. You can now manually copy over data from "_sav" folder to your newly created account. I would suggest that you don't just blindly copy over all the old data to the new account. Most of the data will be in ~/Library/Preferences and ~/Library/Application Data. I suspect that one or more of the files in ~/LIbrary/Preferences is corrupted.

YahonMaizosz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 28, 2007
What this means is that your account is corrupted some how. You will need to recreate your account again. Try these steps:

• Open the terminal app and enter: chflags nohidden ~/Library
  • Create a new admin user.
  • Logout of your account.
  • Login into the new admin user.
  • In the termial app and enter: sudo mv /Users/<your account> /Users/<your account>_sav

Replace <your account> with the name of your account. If your account name is bob then the command would be: sudo mv /Users/bob /Users/bob_sav
  • Goto system preferences->users and groups.
  • Delete your account. Not to worry you renamed it in the steps above.
  • Add your account back in.

Make sure if your account is an admin account create it as an admin account.
  • Logout of the new user admin account.
  • Login into your account again.
  • Open the terminal app and enter: chgflags nohidden ~/Library

You will need to setup your account again. All your previous data is in /Users in the "_sav" folder. You can now manually copy over data from "_sav" folder to your newly created account. I would suggest that you don't just blindly copy over all the old data to the new account. Most of the data will be in ~/Library/Preferences and ~/Library/Application Data. I suspect that one or more of the files in ~/LIbrary/Preferences is corrupted.

Sounds way more complicated than what I had expected..

If it helps, whenever I tried to repair permissions using "Disk Utility", there is always this message that comes out;

Warning: SUID file “System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent” has been modified and will not be repaired.

Does it mean anything?:confused:

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Sounds way more complicated than what I had expected..

If it helps, whenever I tried to repair permissions using "Disk Utility", there is always this message that comes out;

Warning: SUID file “System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent” has been modified and will not be repaired.

Does it mean anything?:confused:

No, it doesn't. You can safely ignore that message.

YahonMaizosz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 28, 2007
No, it doesn't. You can safely ignore that message.

Thank you very much..

Is there any chance that an update to OS X 10.10.3 (When it came out) could fix my issue?

I don't really want to set up a new user and re-move all my files manually since this Mac Mini is for work and can't afford the long downtime.. :(

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
You could rebuild the Launch Services Database by opening a Terminal window and copy-paste the following line into it. (all 1 line)

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user

YahonMaizosz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 28, 2007
You could rebuild the Launch Services Database by opening a Terminal window and copy-paste the following line into it. (all 1 line)

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user

Thank you very much kind sir... You literally fixed my problem!! :):D

All I did was copy paste that line, close terminal and Voila! :)

Now I am able to launch "System Preferences" from the top left :apple: Menu and literally anywhere else (Wallpaper, Dock, Clock, etc..)

Thank you again..

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
Thank you very much kind sir... You literally fixed my problem!! :):D

All I did was copy paste that line, close terminal and Voila! :)

Now I am able to launch "System Preferences" from the top left :apple: Menu and literally anywhere else (Wallpaper, Dock, Clock, etc..)

Thank you again..

Glad I could help and things worked out for you!

Eagle-Research

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2011

You are the magic man. That line of code just solved this very frustrating problem for me too.
This is a new MacBook Pro and I'm having a crackling noise occasionally come out of my speakers and when I tried to go to preferences to see what I could do with sound preferences, the system preferences would NOT come up.

Your code fixed that problem (thank you). Now to fix the crackle...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.