Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KB72

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2020
I've been doing a clean up of a mac I was given.
I followed the instructions to erase the disc through Mac OS X Utilities.
I've gotten as far as reinstall Mac OS X.
I am prompted to input my Apple ID and then get the message - This item is temporarily unavailable. Try again later

Can anyone help??

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
It's 2008 Macbook
[automerge]1587860925[/automerge]

Recovery is requiring internet access, so I guess it's internet recovery
The 2008 MacBook doesn’t support internet recovery, but regular recovery will still need to download files from the internet to do the reinstallation.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Ethernet would be the preferred way to connect but if you connect it to wifi it should work.

Also, recoveries and installations of old versions of macOS have been squirrely lately…some sort of certificate issues. I don't know if that applies here. Many folks have been having to change the date in Terminal while booted into recovery or from a USB installer to get the process to validate.

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
I've been doing a clean up of a mac I was given.
I followed the instructions to erase the disc through Mac OS X Utilities.
I've gotten as far as reinstall Mac OS X.
I am prompted to input my Apple ID and then get the message - This item is temporarily unavailable. Try again later

Can anyone help??
Lion had to be purchased from Apple for $19.99 if your Mac did not ship with it from Apple. The 2008 Macbook did not ship with Lion (max OS supported), so it would have to be purchased from Apple, that is probably one reason it wanted your Apple ID to see if you purchased it. Apple did sell Lion on their web site until last year, now it is gone.

The only options I know of would be to talk to Apple Support to see what can be done or get a Lion USB installer from a friend or purchase one from eBay.

Edit Update:
The link to buy Lion from Apple is working again:
In order for the purchase to work for you, it will require access to a working booted Mac that is capable of running Lion and has access to the Apple App Store.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.