Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

juzernejm

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2015
Hi

I have an old action-cam wich has a micro-SD for recordings.
I am able to plug it with a usb cable in windows and see the content
But when I try with OS (I'm on a Mac Mini with Mojave 10.14) I can't.
Keep in mind that Windows is running on this same machine (on another partition).
So it's not a hardware issue.. I know I can do this with the SD card reader the mac mini has
but I would like to do it without having to take out the micro sd from the camera every time.

Is there a software out there that can make me read this sd?
I tried with those file-recovery apps, but it's too long to get access to the recordings.
Why Window does this by default w/o any apps to install?

Also I want to add that in Disk Utility the SD card is seen but it's grayed out.

Thanks for the help guys!

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
a. On the Windows computer, copy ALL the files from the micro-SD card to a folder
b. Using a USB flash drive (formatted exFAT), copy the folder to the flash drive
c. Take the flash drive to the Mac, and copy the folder (containing the files) to the Mac.

Why the extra steps?
Sometimes it's just "easier to do it that way".

What format are the video files?

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
For reading the content of cameras (or their memory cards), there is the native app "Image Capture" located in "Applications".
Have you tried that?

Last edited:

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Prixton DV660
When I searched for that I found this page:

On that page is a downloadable PDF manual ("Download manual" button).

In that PDF, this is on page 22:
Windows XP/Vista/7/8/10 or higher and Mac 10.8 or higher

Other places in the PDF mention "MSDC mode" which refers to the Mass Storage Device Class profile of USB devices. This means the camera should identify itself to the computer as a mass storage device (disk) when plugged in via USB.

The manual does mention that you must insert a microSD card, but it doesn't say how it should be formatted. Page 16 says:
Note: The camera is not equipped with built-in memory. Please insert memory card before using. Before using the camera, it is a must to format the memory card on the camera.

All of that is background for the following procedure.

This procedure is intended to discover what file-system format is on the SD card. It's conceivable that the file-system on the camera (and the camera's SD card) is one that your Windows is able to read but a Mac is unable to read by default.

1. Run Disk Utility.app, and choose View all devices.

2. Select the device representing the camera.
You stated in your first post that this is grayed out. Please try selecting it anyway.
If it's selected, the main part of the Disk Utility window will show some info about the device.
Please make a screenshot of this window and post it in a reply here.

3. If the device representing the camera isn't selectable,
please make and post a screenshot of the left side of the Disk Utility window showing devices.

4. With the camera still connected by USB cable,
open a Terminal window and type: disktutil list
This will produce multiple lines of output.
Please copy and paste the lines into a reply here.

An alternate procedure uses the System Information app, which resides in /Applications/Utilities.

Launch it and look at the left-hand column of its main window. There should be a hierarchical list starting with "Hardware" and a number of sub-items for each hardware aspect or facet of the computer.

Locate the item named "USB" and click it. In the right-hand panel you should see a summary of the USB busses and devices of the computer. Look thru that list for something that looks like your Prixton device and click it. If you don't see such a device, make a screenshot of that window and post it.

If you clicked on a Prixton device, the lower portion of that pane will show various details of the USB device, including any disk-name identifiers, partition maps, file-system partitions, etc. Please post a screenshot of that pane.

As an example of an SD card my Macs won't read completely, I have microSD cards formatted for use in Raspberry Pi units I have. These have an FDisk partition scheme and a FAT-32 partition, which the Mac recognizes, and a Linux ext4 partition, which it doesn't.

Example output from 'diskutil list'.
Code:
/dev/disk2
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:     FDisk_partition_scheme                        *31.9 GB    disk2
   1:             Windows_FAT_32 WARP2                   268.4 MB   disk2s1
   2:                      Linux                         2.0 GB     disk2s2

Last edited:
Reactions: arw

juzernejm

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2015
Disk Utility window will show some info about the device.
Please make a screenshot of this window and post it in a reply here.
looks like fat16
Schermata 2024-01-07 alle 18.07.59.jpg

In terminal I get an error:
$ disktutil list
-bash: disktutil: command not found

Schermata 2024-01-07 alle 18.24.57.jpg

"partition map: unknown" it says in italian
It is listed as disk3.. may via Terminal I could be able to format it in a way tha Mac can see it(?)

Thanks for taking the time to help man ; )

Attachments

• Schermata 2024-01-07 alle 18.07.50.jpg
    Schermata 2024-01-07 alle 18.07.50.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
looks like fat16
Yes, definitely FAT16. This explains why Windows could read it.

The part I don't entirely understand is why macOS couldn't, unless that support was removed.
I know Apple removed the ability to format as FAT16, leaving only FAT32 and exFAT.
Maybe someone else can provide details on that.

If you have an older macOS version, maybe try that.

If not, then the best approach to getting the data is in post #2 above (i.e. copy the files to a USB or SD card formatted as exFAT).

In terminal I get an error:
$ disktutil list
-bash: disktutil: command not found
Sorry, that was my typo, along with poor proofreading.
It should be: diskutil list

It is listed as disk3.. may via Terminal I could be able to format it in a way tha Mac can see it(?)
If you format it, it will remove all the data from it.

If you don't want to keep the data, try formatting it as FAT-32 or exFAT on the Mac. To do that, you can Erase it in Disk Utility. You might need to select the "Apple SDXC Reader" device, and make sure the partition scheme is Master Boot Record.

If the camera rejects both FAT-32 and exFAT, then you're stuck with using FAT16.

Reactions: arw and juzernejm

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
After some searching, I found what should be the command-line tool that will format a disk as FAT16.

First, see if you have the command:
Code:
which newfs_msdos
If it lists nothing, then you don't have it. If it lists anything, then you have it.

Next:
Code:
man newfs_msdos

or:
Code:
newfs_msdos -.
The output of the last one should say it's an illegal option, then list the legal options.

If you don't have the command, maybe look under /System/Library/Filesystems . I'm not sure if that exists on Mojave.

juzernejm

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2015
Sorry, that was my typo, along with poor proofreading.
It should be: diskutil list
lo I can't believe I didn't catch that xD
which newfs_msdos
this code in terminal gives me this: /sbin/newfs_msdos

man newfs_msdos
gives me this:

Code:
-o hidden
             Number of hidden sectors.

-r reserved
             Number of reserved sectors.

-s total
             File system size, in sectors.

-u track-size
             Number of sectors per track.

-v volume-name
             Volume name (filesystem name), up to 11 characters.  The name
             should consist of only those characters permitted in regular DOS
             (8+3) filenames.

NOTES
     FAT file system parameters occupy a "Boot Sector BPB (BIOS Parameter
     Block)" in the first of the "reserved" sectors which precede the actual
     file system.  For reference purposes, this structure is presented below.

struct bsbpb {
         u_int16_t   bps;            /* [-S] bytes per sector */
         u_int8_t    spc;            /* [-c] sectors per cluster */
         u_int16_t   res;            /* [-r] reserved sectors */
         u_int8_t    nft;            /* [-n] number of FATs */
         u_int16_t   rde;            /* [-e] root directory entries */
         u_int16_t   sec;            /* [-s] total sectors */
         u_int8_t    mid;            /* [-m] media descriptor */
         u_int16_t   spf;            /* [-a] sectors per FAT */
         u_int16_t   spt;            /* [-u] sectors per track */
         u_int16_t   hds;            /* [-h] drive heads */
         u_int32_t   hid;            /* [-o] hidden sectors */
         u_int32_t   bsec;           /* [-s] big total sectors */
     };
     /* FAT32 extensions */
     struct bsxbpb {
         u_int32_t   bspf;           /* [-a] big sectors per FAT */
         u_int16_t   xflg;           /* control flags */
         u_int16_t   vers;           /* file system version */
         u_int32_t   rdcl;           /* root directory start cluster */
         u_int16_t   infs;           /* [-i] file system info sector */
:

EXAMPLES
           newfs_msdos /dev/disk0s1
     Create a file system, using default parameters, on /dev/disk0s1.

newfs_msdos -f 1440 -v foo fd0
     Create a standard 1.44M file system, with volume name "foo", on /dev/fd0.

SEE ALSO
     fdisk(8), mount(8)

DIAGNOSTICS
     Exit status is 0 on success and 1 on error.

HISTORY
     The newfs_msdos command appeared in FreeBSD 3.0.

AUTHORS
     Robert Nordier <rnordier@FreeBSD.org>.

BSD                              July 6, 1998                              BSD
(END)

this last code is not complete (it doesn't let me copy all of it) but basically is a list of all comands

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

If you're still struggling with this, why don't you try the simple advice I offered in reply 2 above?

That is ... just copy the files to a PC that CAN "read from the camera", then use a flashdrive (or USB drive) to "move them over" to the Mac?

Fishrrman's "Mac Rule Number 2":
Use what works for you. Don't waste your time trying to use what doesn't.

juzernejm

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2015
OP:

If you're still struggling with this, why don't you try the simple advice I offered in reply 2 above?

That is ... just copy the files to a PC that CAN "read from the camera", then use a flashdrive (or USB drive) to "move them over" to the Mac?

Fishrrman's "Mac Rule Number 2":
Use what works for you. Don't waste your time trying to use what doesn't.
Dude if you don't have an answer of my problem, you don't have to post. You think I haven't thought of that? I want to spend time solving this now, so that I won't have to spend it later all the time transfering files (and turning on a Windows machine just to copy a file).

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Dude if you don't have an answer of my problem, you don't have to post. You think I haven't thought of that? I want to spend time solving this now, so that I won't have to spend it later all the time transfering files (and turning on a Windows machine just to copy a file).
I, for one, seem to have misunderstood your goal here. I thought you were looking for a single-use solution to get a number of old pics or movies off an "old action-cam". I didn't realize you were bringing this device back into active ongoing use.

To start with, I suggest using the USB cable to plug the camera into the Mac, with the SD card installed in the camera, and the camera mode set to MSDC (according to the PDF manual). Then, use Disk Utility to see if the device appears as a disk. Then try 'diskutil list'. I realize I gave these instructions earlier, but looking at the Disk Utility screenshot in post #9, it appears you actually used the SD card plugged into the Mac's card-reader, rather than using the camera itself. You also posted what seems to be a System Info screenshot, but since I don't read Italian, I can't interpret what it says. Maybe you can temporarily change the primary language to English before making screenshots. Or make a separate Mac user account where the language is always English, and do fast user switching between them.

If the camera plugged in via USB shows up in Disk Utility (or 'diskutil list'), and the device appears as a FAT16 disk, then the next step is to format the card as FAT32 using Disk Utility on the Mac. It seems somewhat unlikely to me that the camera will allow this formatting, but it's worth a try. If it doesn't work, then move the SD card to the Mac's card reader and format it there.

If FAT32 works when the card is moved back to the camera, then keep using that, because Macs can read that format. If it doesn't, then try formatting as exFAT on the Mac, and again moving it back to the camera. Choose MBR as the partition scheme, and a single partition.

If the Mac insists on not reading FAT16, and the camera only writes to FAT16, then I don't see a lot of options remaining.

One possibility is to try a 64GB SD card in the camera. The default filesystem for that SD card size is exFAT. The camera manual says the largest card it accepts is 64GB (page 22).

FWIW, 'mount_msdos' is the command that will mount FAT file-systems.

EDIT
Instead of a 64GB card and exFAT, try an SDHC card with capacity above 2 GB. The default filesystem for the SDHC capacity range is FAT32.
SDHC cards are physically and electrically identical to standard-capacity SD cards (SDSC). The major compatibility issues between SDHC and SDSC cards are the redefinition of the Card-Specific Data (CSD) register in version 2.0 (see below), and the fact that SDHC cards are shipped preformatted with the FAT32 file system.

Last edited:
Reactions: juzernejm

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
Yes, but
1) You will wipe all the data on it (as has been said), and
2) The camera will almost certainly have problems with it in the future. Formatting in the camera may include some folder structures as well as FAT16. In general cameras like you to format the cards with the camera's in built utility.

Above it not very helpful, I know.

As an alternative to using Windows, have you looked at the iSmart DV which runs on an iPhone (also Android version). This is referenced in the User Manual and, I think, connects via the DV660's wifi network. This may be a red herring, but my understanding is that you are desperate not to use Windows for this.

Last edited:
Reactions: juzernejm

philstubbington

macrumors 6502
Hi

I have an old action-cam wich has a micro-SD for recordings.
I am able to plug it with a usb cable in windows and see the content
But when I try with OS (I'm on a Mac Mini with Mojave 10.14) I can't.
Keep in mind that Windows is running on this same machine (on another partition).
So it's not a hardware issue.. I know I can do this with the SD card reader the mac mini has
but I would like to do it without having to take out the micro sd from the camera every time.

Is there a software out there that can make me read this sd?
I tried with those file-recovery apps, but it's too long to get access to the recordings.
Why Window does this by default w/o any apps to install?

Also I want to add that in Disk Utility the SD card is seen but it's grayed out.

Thanks for the help guys!
Not exactly the same issue as you, but it seems Macs can be very fussy about SD cards. I have a SanDisk Edge 16GB card which on my Mac won't even show up. Another SanDisk card (an Ultra) showed up in Finder straightaway. Oddly the Edge card must have worked at some point, because it's for a Raspberry PI Homebridge install which I would have done from the same Mac previously.

This is using the Apple USB-C card reader BTW.

Edit: Now it gets weird - having just updated the Ultra card, plugged the Edge in and it works fine. All very odd!

juzernejm

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2015
@ philstubbington ok thanks.. good to know this also..
For the moment I'm using a lot linux so there's no issues connecting the camera and seeing its content..
These freaking machines... some do things good the other can't.. so you have to use them all

Reactions: philstubbington
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.