Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

airlied

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 8, 2011
I just got my new 2018 model Macbook Pro (15' 2.2Ghz hex-core i7, Radeon pro 560X, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB SSD). And a fancy Blackmagic eGPU.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FlU2CVpPVwVnEzgE5eZi6zclrUYtdvHp/view

Everything was fine, until I rebooted my Mac. I found that the Mac won't reboot when it was connected to eGPU.

It was like this:
My Mac is connected to eGPU (with lid closed), which is connected to a 4k TV via HDMI cable. When I need to restart the OS I reboot the Mac but instead of rebooting the Mac just shuts itself down.

It doesn't happen all the time, I believe it's like 50-50 chance that the Mac will restart.

Possible reason:
I did a close watch and believe that the reason might be like this. Because the Blackmagic eGPU doesn't have a power switch, it will automatecally turn off if no Mac is connected. So during the restart, there is a short moment when Mac doesn't send data to eGPU, so the eGPU will power itself off. And Mac will think the external monitor is disconnected. Since it is on clamshell mode (lid closed), it will not boot.

I tried rebooting the Mac with lid open (and eGPU connected), and everything is totally fine. This could prove that it's not a hardware issue of the Mac.

To temporarily solve this, I have to take the Mac out of the vertical stand, open the lid and wait until apple logo shows, then close the lid. The Mac will reboot normally.

I tried to connect a keyboard to the Mac through eGPU's USB port. And tried to press any buttons to boot the Mac if it won't reboot. But it doesn't work since the eGPU itself is powered off it wont send the keyboard signal to the Mac. I havn't tried to connect the keyboard directly to the Mac yet, but even if it works I prefer not to solve it like this. Because I don't want to add another cable to the Mac.

Anyone who has the same issue and/or the solution please let me know please!

Last edited:

inmnbob

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2014
Chicago and Twin Cities
The eGPU probably doesn't work until you completely booted. You may actually be booting but to a blank screen. try pluging the keyboard into the Macbook and typing your password and see if it then boots and activates the eGPU which will then drive the monitor

ThatGuyInLa

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2012
SC
I just got my new 2018 model Macbook Pro (15' 2.2Ghz hex-core i7, Radeon pro 560X, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB SSD). And a fancy Blackmagic eGPU.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FlU2CVpPVwVnEzgE5eZi6zclrUYtdvHp/view

Everything was fine, until I rebooted my Mac. I found that the Mac won't reboot when it was connected to eGPU.

It was like this:
My Mac is connected to eGPU (with lid closed), which is connected to a 4k TV via HDMI cable. When I need to restart the OS I reboot the Mac but instead of rebooting the Mac just shuts itself down.

It doesn't happen all the time, I believe it's like 50-50 chance that the Mac will restart.

Possible reason:
I did a close watch and believe that the reason might be like this. Because the Blackmagic eGPU doesn't have a power switch, it will automatecally turn off if no Mac is connected. So during the restart, there is a short moment when Mac doesn't send data to eGPU, so the eGPU will power itself off. And Mac will think the external monitor is disconnected. Since it is on clamshell mode (lid closed), it will not boot.

I tried rebooting the Mac with lid open (and eGPU connected), and everything is totally fine. This could prove that it's not a hardware issue of the Mac.

To temporarily solve this, I have to take the Mac out of the vertical stand, open the lid and wait until apple logo shows, then close the lid. The Mac will reboot normally.

I tried to connect a keyboard to the Mac through eGPU's USB port. And tried to press any buttons to boot the Mac if it won't reboot. But it doesn't work since the eGPU itself is powered off it wont send the keyboard signal to the Mac. I havn't tried to connect the keyboard directly to the Mac yet, but even if it works I prefer not to solve it like this. Because I don't want to add another cable to the Mac.

Anyone who has the same issue and/or the solution please let me know please!
I have this same issue for the same reason, but to my connected monitor that powers my MBP. Annoying for sure.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
This is exactly why we need MacBook's and MacBook Pro's to finally support docking/headless boot option if connected to an external display/eGPU/dock of any kind!

Apple and Federighi have been assinine to have overlooked deploying eGPU support yet NOT bulding into the MB/MBP macOS the ability to boot headless with these kinds of connections. As if there is not enough years and years of Post your Mac Setup picture galleries across the net featuring MB/MBP in a dock like setup. Grrr.

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
This is exactly why we need MacBook's and MacBook Pro's to finally support docking/headless boot option if connected to an external display/eGPU/dock of any kind!

Apple and Federighi have been assinine to have overlooked deploying eGPU support yet NOT bulding into the MB/MBP macOS the ability to boot headless with these kinds of connections. As if there is not enough years and years of Post your Mac Setup picture galleries across the net featuring MB/MBP in a dock like setup. Grrr.
I will say that I can boot my 2017 MacBook Pro while in clamshell mode while connected to a Caldigit TS3 using an external Bluetooth keyboard. I think it depends on how that dock/eGPU is designed to work with the machine and possibly the Bluetooth keyboard that may also cause challenges.

Having said that, I think it would be nice for Apple to make a more streamlined docking solution for their MacBook Pros, and quite honestly I’m surprised they don’t have one already (that’s not an eGPU or Ultrafine monitor). Some people would be willing to pay oodles for a standard thunderbolt-3 Apple branded docking system that syncs nicely with their MacBook Pros.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I will say that I can boot my 2017 MacBook Pro while in clamshell mode while connected to a Caldigit TS3 using an external Bluetooth keyboard. I think it depends on how that dock/eGPU is designed to work with the machine and possibly the Bluetooth keyboard that may also cause challenges.

Having said that, I think it would be nice for Apple to make a more streamlined docking solution for their MacBook Pros, and quite honestly I’m surprised they don’t have one already (that’s not an eGPU or Ultrafine monitor). Some people would be willing to pay oodles for a standard thunderbolt-3 Apple branded docking system that syncs nicely with their MacBook Pros.

The Caldigit TS3 doesn't have a power button. So I gotta ask which Bluetooth Keyboard do you have that somehow is able communicate to your MBP from a DEAD/COLD Powered Down state to power up, bootup, and allow you to logon?

^I highly doubt this is what you're actually saying vs waking up from sleep; which is not what I contested Apple should've allowed. I recall the PowerMac G5 and gen 1 -4 iMac USB (acrylic) Keyboards has a built in Power Button that if connected via USB to a PowerBook, MacBook Pro would indeed from a cold state bootup the Mac.

PS: Apple had the PowerBook Duo with a desktop component with a built-in Dock. They've not done that since as that never really sold much .

https://www.macworld.com/article/28...is-cool-but-the-powerbook-duo-was-cooler.html

The daddy of these docking systems was the Duo Dock, a big case the size of a traditional desktop computer. The idea was that you’d have a monitor on top of it, and a keyboard, mouse, printer and network permanently attached to it, all just sitting waiting for you to slide the PowerBook Duo in. Once you did, your Duo was immediately connected not just to all this stuff but also to the Dock’s internal floppy drive, NuBus expansion slots, and a second hard disk, as well as optional features that gave it more processing grunt: a Floating Point Unit, level 2 cache and more VRAM to drive bigger monitors with more colors. The Duo Dock would also, of course, charge the Duo’s internal battery.

^Sounds like a few eGPU cases today ;)

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
The Caldigit TS3 doesn't have a power button. So I gotta ask which Bluetooth Keyboard do you have that somehow is able communicate to your MBP from a DEAD/COLD Powered Down state to power up, bootup, and allow you to logon?

^I highly doubt this is what you're actually saying vs waking up from sleep; which is not what I contested Apple should've allowed. I recall the PowerMac G5 and gen 1 -4 iMac USB (acrylic) Keyboards has a built in Power Button that if connected via USB to a PowerBook, MacBook Pro would indeed from a cold state bootup the Mac.

PS: Apple had the PowerBook Duo with a desktop component with a built-in Dock. They've not done that since as that never really sold much .

https://www.macworld.com/article/28...is-cool-but-the-powerbook-duo-was-cooler.html

^Sounds like a few eGPU cases today ;)
Sorry for the late reply, as I had to do some testing on how this was working for me.

So on my 2017 13" Macbook Pro wTB I use a Logitech Craft Keyboard and MX Master Mouse (connected via bluetooth, not the dongle), and dock the laptop to a Caldigit TS3.

After testing I found this out... After I shut off my MacBook Pro while connected to the Caldigit dock, the Caldigit's blue LED light stays on for a while before the dock finally shuts off completely. During this period I can press the lock key on the Craft Keyboard and it will reboot my computer while in clamshell mode. Also, if I had disconnected and reconnected the TS3 to the computer while the MBP is completed off and in clamshell mode, the dock will power on, and I can use the keyboard to boot the MBP in clamshell mode connected to the dock.

However, you are actually correct, once the dock fully goes to sleep I am not able to cold-boot the computer up at all with my Craft keyboard... I either have to open the computer screen, or I have to unplug/plug the computer back into the dock to turn the dock on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.