Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aires04

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2020
I trying to reset my macbook pro and I think I’ve done something wrong. I can no longer instal the Mac OS, when in recovery mode and I try to reinstall a new copy there is no disk to put it on. When in disk utility on the left hand side I see:
121.33 GB APPLE SSD SD0128F media
disk0s2
————
disk1
OS X Base System

i am unsure what to do new and its giving me serious anxiety. this is my first time posting on here so any help will be hugely appreciated.

many thanks

RogerWilco6502

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2019
Tír na nÓg
I trying to reset my macbook pro and I think I’ve done something wrong. I can no longer instal the Mac OS, when in recovery mode and I try to reinstall a new copy there is no disk to put it on. When in disk utility on the left hand side I see:
121.33 GB APPLE SSD SD0128F media
disk0s2
————
disk1
OS X Base System

i am unsure what to do new and its giving me serious anxiety. this is my first time posting on here so any help will be hugely appreciated.

many thanks
Can you send a picture of what the DU screen looks like? :)

Aires04

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2020

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    336.5 KB · Views: 1,897
Reactions: RogerWilco6502

RogerWilco6502

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2019
Tír na nÓg
thank you for your reply
No problem! The issue is that your disk isn't formatted (or at least not in a way that the Mac can read). So with the 121.33 GB APPLE SSD SD0128F media selected, you should go over to the Erase tab and follow the directions there. You can name the disk anything, generally the default filesystem it formats with is good, and then click erase. After that's done, you can install.

Feel free to ask any other questions you may have! :)

Aires04

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2020
No problem! The issue is that your disk isn't formatted (or at least not in a way that the Mac can read). So with the 121.33 GB APPLE SSD SD0128F media selected, you should go over to the Erase tab and follow the directions there. You can name the disk anything, generally the default filesystem it formats with is good, and then click erase. After that's done, you can install.

Feel free to ask any other questions you may have! :)

Thank you! it’s installing now hopefully everything will be fine after

Reactions: RogerWilco6502

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
And, you are not showing a hard drive, just the Super Drive, which is your optical drive.
No internal drive is showing. Likely your hard drive is dead/faulty.
You COULD (in theory) install a system on a DVD-r, but it would not be useful as a booting system, only as a curiosity.

If you have an internal CD/DVD drive, then your Mac is 2012 or older.

The "Mac OS X Base System" indicates that you are booted to internet recovery, so your Mac (whatever it is) is not older than 2011, although some 2010 Macs will boot to internet recovery.
(You can't install to that Base System drive, as it does not exist on your Mac, you are booting to an Apple remote server.)

Anyway, you don't show a destination for an OS X install, again, it's most likely that your internal storage is dead.

ssoda

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2023
And, you are not showing a hard drive, just the Super Drive, which is your optical drive.
No internal drive is showing. Likely your hard drive is dead/faulty.
You COULD (in theory) install a system on a DVD-r, but it would not be useful as a booting system, only as a curiosity.

If you have an internal CD/DVD drive, then your Mac is 2012 or older.

The "Mac OS X Base System" indicates that you are booted to internet recovery, so your Mac (whatever it is) is not older than 2011, although some 2010 Macs will boot to internet recovery.
(You can't install to that Base System drive, as it does not exist on your Mac, you are booting to an Apple remote server.)

Anyway, you don't show a destination for an OS X install, again, it's most likely that your internal storage is dead.
Does that mean I need to get more storage? I’m sorry. I can follow steps, but not that savvy in the meaning of it all.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
No, you don't need "more", but you do need working storage, which is something that you are missing at the moment.
It would help if you could tell us a bit more about the Mac that you have.
I'm guessing that you have an iMac? (which model and year?)

ssoda

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2023
This is it. I rarely used it in the year that I had it. One day it just made a loud clicking noise and the ? File folder appeared. That’s how I came to find this forum. The company I purchased it from won’t assist because it’s been a year and they said I had to have asked for help within 90 days of purchasing.
19E37C9B-598A-48C9-B716-BEB423E0A615.jpeg

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
The "loud clicking noise", then a flashing ? folder, again likely means that the internal hard drive has now failed.
There's only one fix for that -- the hard drive needs to be replaced.

Your graphic does not tell which iMac you have. The description applies to 3 different 27-inch iMacs with built-in DVD optical drives, and 5 more 27-inch iMac models without optical drives.
If you can't get your iMac to boot, flip the iMac so you can see the label on the bottom of the foot. The "EMC" code will be unique for your model iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.