Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chores

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2020
I'm trying to replace the CPU on my iMac, but it's stuck! Is it possibly soldered on? If that's the case, I'm pretty much out of options aren't I? I was told to try using a hair dryer to remove it. I don't have a hair dryer, but I do have a heat gun. Is a heat gun too hot to use? Thanks.

Kcetech1

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2016
Alberta Canada
Dont use a heat gun. I really have to think back, and im sure those are a socketed CPU where you used the release arm or screw ( sorry too lazy to look at ifixit ) if you have it unlocked I would use a fine screwdriver on an edge to pop it loose ...... however I do remember some of them if they kept getting over hot would almost melt the socket into the pins and bottom of CPU and it would not come out at all.

chores

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2020
Dont use a heat gun. I really have to think back, and im sure those are a socketed CPU where you used the release arm or screw ( sorry too lazy to look at ifixit ) if you have it unlocked I would use a fine screwdriver on an edge to pop it loose ...... however I do remember some of them if they kept getting over hot would almost melt the socket into the pins and bottom of CPU and it would not come out at all.
Thank you, that must have been what happened to mine! Here's what it looks like:
IMG_20200718_151204.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.