Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vader33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
A few days ago I attempted to jailbreak my phone using Unc0ver 3.5.5 and installing Cydia. Both were successful, but after only a few times using Cydia, it became unstable and would crash instantly upon opening the app. I re-jailbroke my phone a number of times, but nothing got Cydia to open again (so I could download Cydia Eraser and remove it from my phone). Now when I download Unc0ver the app doesn't fully install, instead it hangs up and leaves me with a blacked out icon.

I've tried hard resets, restoring backups, and even completely restored the phone, all to no avail. Cydia is still on my home screen and I can't delete it. I still can't download Unc0ver even after a full restore either. One thing I have noticed is there is no active profile running that's related to Cydia, but there seems to be significant batter usage with the app still installed.

Can anyone help me out here? I really appreciate it!

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Wipe the phone and then restore from back up previous to jailbreak. If you don’t have a backup prior to that, wipe the phone and set up as new, make an encrypted backup via iTunes, and try your jailbreak again.

vader33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Wipe the phone and then restore from back up previous to jailbreak. If you don’t have a backup prior to that, wipe the phone and set up as new, make an encrypted backup via iTunes, and try your jailbreak again.

I tried that already. I can't try the jailbreak again because it doesn't install after downloading. Everything you just mentioned I've already tried to do...

bingeciren

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
I had a similar problem. Even though Cydia was not visible, some Apps still detected the presence of JB. Erasing the device from IOS settings didn’t help, iMazing erase and restore didn’t help. Only restoring using iTunes and setting it as a new device worked.

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
I know that uncover didn't work anymore on tweak box or on the web directly on your device. Download the latest version on GitHub (3.5.6 I think) and install it via cydia impactor on your computer. Should work.

vader33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Thanks for the replies everyone. I ended up rejailbreaking via Chimera and installing Sileo. With the Chimera jailbreak, Cydia and Uncover both uninstalled. What I found in some research is that the certificates Uncover/Cydia and Chimera/Sileo use are temporary, and that Apple revokes them from time to time. When that happens, usually waiting a day or two and then rejailbreaking should work again. I guess I panicked a little and was worried my phone may be at risk for hacking. Thanks again for your help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.