Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikethebook

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2010
I don't know how to remove the free Sophos Home antivirus software I have on my Mac. Using Remove Sophos Home which is located in Applications, I just come up with an error message. And if i try and install another version of Sophos over the existing one, I also get an error message. Manually uninstalling looks way too complicated and I wonder whether I can uninstall sufficient files that another antivirus can be installed without detecting traces of Sophos. I'm almost contemplating a clean install but I'd rather not have to go that far.

mikethebook

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2010
No, that's exactly what I did after which I used EasyFind to locate other Sophos files but there were still so many and all attempts to install another antivirus failed.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I don't know how to remove the free Sophos Home antivirus software I have on my Mac. Using Remove Sophos Home which is located in Applications, I just come up with an error message. And if i try and install another version of Sophos over the existing one, I also get an error message. Manually uninstalling looks way too complicated and I wonder whether I can uninstall sufficient files that another antivirus can be installed without detecting traces of Sophos. I'm almost contemplating a clean install but I'd rather not have to go that far.
What are the error messages you’re getting?

mikethebook

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2010
I tried rebooting but with no success. Here's the message when i tried to uninstall. The other was similar.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-03-28 at 16.10.39.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-28 at 16.10.39.png
    45.5 KB · Views: 184

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Try rebooting while holding the shift key to start in safe mode. That stops all startup and launch items from running.

Then look in all these folders for anything that might be related to Sophos and delete it. Restart afterwards.

~/Library/LaunchAgents (~ is your users folder)
/Library/LaunchAgents
/Library/LaunchDaemons
/Library/StartupItems
/Library/Extensions
/System/Library/Extensions/

Reactions: circatee

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Failing the above, another idea:
- reinstall Sophos
- then uninstall it again

With the reinstall, it should install all 'missing' files and such. Thus hoping the uninstall works properly the next time.

mikethebook

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2010
Thanks but it won't install either . . . though I guess it might once I've uninstalled most of the stuff. Something to try anyway. Cheers.

mikethebook

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2010
Sorry. After using AppCleaner to remove the main items, I used EasyFinder to find every other Sophos item and individually removed all I could apart from the private/ files. After rebooting i found I could install another antivirus app with no problem.

Reactions: circatee
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.