Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Passante

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 16, 2004
on the sofa
After renting a movie a week with my Apple TV I am was unable to rent a movie last night. Got the error message "There's a problem communicating with the iTunes Store". I can browse movie trailers and previews. I can even buy music on iTunes. So I restarted Apple TV and logged in and out of iTunes. Still can't rent.

Any thoughts. I'm thinking this is an iTunes issue. Hoping this is an iTunes issue since this is an original Apple TV purchased when they were first released.

aawil

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2008
I'm getting the same thing. I guess I shouldn't have waited to the last day for this weeks 99 cent rental.

pjarvi

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2006
Clovis, CA
Same thing happened to me last night. I bought a movie through iTunes on my MacBook, but couldn't rent a movie with the AppleTV. I didn't test trying to rent through iTunes though.

aawil

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2008
Same thing happened to me last night. I bought a movie through iTunes on my MacBook, but couldn't rent a movie with the AppleTV. I didn't test trying to rent through iTunes though.

I just did and got basically the same thing.

Passante

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 16, 2004
on the sofa
Update

So out of curiosity I tried renting a movie on my G4 tower and got a similar message. I turned my DSL modem and Airport off hoping that would fix things with no luck. The fact that I'm having problems on two different machines makes me think that it may be a problem with my iTunes account. Any thoughts>

Passante

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 16, 2004
on the sofa
I seem to be back in business. I was able to rent Legend. Apple support did not say what if any fix occurred. I certainly didn't change anything in my Apple TV box.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.