Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Head_Unit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2020
This in a 2017 VW Alltrack (IIRC also a 2017 Chevy Volt but I don't drive that as much).

Background is dark, streets are thin white lines, but barely visible. And then worsened by the angle and polarization of the LCD display. Dash dimmer control = no effect. I can switch between automatic and night mode always, but the night mode seems the problem. On the phone, the light map is visible, though on the head unit who knows.

Anyone else? It's literally useless for looking at the map. (A different problem is sometimes it wants to show a Home destination with route, even if no route activated, and I don't know how to clear that off to just see the map around me...if I could see the streets that is!)

Einz

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2008
Yes, the streets are barely visible in night mode. Use Waze if you have an issue with the map at night.

Reactions: Head_Unit

63W

macrumors regular
May 10, 2020
Have you tried contacting VW customer service and see if there is an update for your headunit? You could always stop by your local VW dealership and talk to service advisors. They should have access to all the latest software patches and recalls for your vehicle once you give them your vehicles VIN #.

As a last resort, I dont know if you already tried it or not. Stop by the forums at www.vwvortex.com . They have pretty much all the latest intel and solutions when it comes to VW.

Last edited:

Head_Unit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2020
update for your headunit?
Ah good catch! I worked in that area and didn't think about it. Actually the radio had problems with CarPlay and has been updated. I think that the map is just not a good color scheme, and then the LCD itself worsens that scheme.

63W

macrumors regular
May 10, 2020
Ah good catch! I worked in that area and didn't think about it. Actually the radio had problems with CarPlay and has been updated. I think that the map is just not a good color scheme, and then the LCD itself worsens that scheme.

Your VW dealer might not have the latest info on all the updates, patches and recalls. But still worse a visit.
I used to work at a VW dealer. I dont recall how many times, customers knew far more than we had access to in Service department. Because the information was trickled down at a slow rate, even though internet, websites and forums had the latest information that was months ahead of us.
You can try calling VW America customer service number, visit VW website ( you will need your vehicles VIN # to look up recalls, software updates, etc etc).

I know I know. Its a lot of leg work and can be a pain in the butt. And dont forget the VW forum ive mentioned earlier. They have helped me in the past with my Passat.... even though I worked at a VW dealer.
Techs & service advisers aren't incompetent. They dont seat around reading forums or latest internet news, they work with info that is given to them from the mothership. So if Mothership doesn't spread the seed of knowledge for 6 month to all the dealerships, then techs aren't at fault and they have to work with the info they are given. Makes sense??

Good luck. Let me know if you find a solution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.