Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fluffyfox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2012
Hawaii
It says
Oops!

No new executables found!

Maybe the installer failed..?

If you tried to install somewhere other than C: drive(drive_c in the wrapper) then you will get this message too. All software must be installed in C: drive"
The wineskin version number is 2.5.9

Last edited:

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
you edited it so your post says nothing now? did you get the problem fixed?

needshelpquick

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2013
I've never heard of these games but see if this website helps you: http://www.thezorklibrary.com/installguides/
These are some good websites for wineskin that can usually help you: http://www.winehq.org and http://portingteam.com/frontpage
If you're using mountain lion, I found with a couple of my wrappers that they didn't work when I updated to mountain lion so I forced them to use the system installed XQuartz and they were able to start again. To do this just go advanced>options and it's the last option.
Hope this helps.

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
that error message means exactly what it says... you tried to do an install, and then no new executable was found after the installer finished. That means whatever you ran didn't install... wether its a bad program, you ran the wrong things, or any other number of reasons. You haven't given even close to enough info to help beyond that.

fluffyfox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2012
Hawaii
that error message means exactly what it says... you tried to do an install, and then no new executable was found after the installer finished. That means whatever you ran didn't install... wether its a bad program, you ran the wrong things, or any other number of reasons. You haven't given even close to enough info to help beyond that.

Well it tried installing from the Zork install .exe files. I got them off GOG.

estorstenson

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2013
are these windows or are they dos games? If it's dos, you want boxer, not wine.

Also, I've found GOG's forums pretty helpful for working through this sort of stuff when you get the item through them.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
dos games.

Well, you are halfway there then. Wineskin is handy for running the GOG installer which is a Windows app but now you need something else called Boxer to finish setting up the games to run on your Mac.

Get it here where you will also find instructions for using it:

http://boxerapp.com/

You'll need to open the file created by Wineskin to access the folder containing the installed DOS game and drag that folder onto Boxer basically which will then set it up with DOSBox to work on your Mac.

estorstenson

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2013
I LOVE boxer. My father-in-law had an old DOS database that wouldn't run on his shiny new windows machine (he paid some guy to try to make it work, and the guy gave up). It runs just fine on boxer, though. Gotta love that we can run just about any program except things written for OS 9 and earlier.

fluffyfox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2012
Hawaii
I can't seem to get Zork: Grand inquisitor to install with WINE. I get this error message.
runtime error (at 141:58888888): access violation at address 4543F1AF in module "gidplus.dll. Read of address 05E427C8

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
I can't seem to get Zork: Grand inquisitor to install with WINE. I get this error message.

Is the installer what is crashing? Is this the GOG version of the game?

I checked AppDB and found this where it was rated Platinum with Wine:

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=4025

Be sure to note the Wine version number in that link. If you have problems with something that AppDB says works, sometimes you need to use Wineskin Winery to download the engine (Wine version) you need for a particular game to work well. Then you create a new wrapper specifying that particular engine so you have that particular version of Wine.

In case you are not already aware of this, checking the Wine AppDB is a good first stop whenever a problem arises trying Wine with a game. Often, you can find tips there if there is known issues, learn if something just doesn't work at all or if it works with a certain version of Wine but not others, etc., etc. It is a very useful resource.

fluffyfox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2012
Hawaii
Is the installer what is crashing? Is this the GOG version of the game?

I checked AppDB and found this where it was rated Platinum with Wine:

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=4025

Be sure to note the Wine version number in that link. If you have problems with something that AppDB says works, sometimes you need to use Wineskin Winery to download the engine (Wine version) you need for a particular game to work well. Then you create a new wrapper specifying that particular engine so you have that particular version of Wine.

In case you are not already aware of this, checking the Wine AppDB is a good first stop whenever a problem arises trying Wine with a game. Often, you can find tips there if there is known issues, learn if something just doesn't work at all or if it works with a certain version of Wine but not others, etc., etc. It is a very useful resource.

It is the GOG version of the game.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
It is the GOG version of the game.

Hmm, it seems strange the GOG installer would be a problem. I thought that worked okay. Not sure what to tell you then. Maybe try posting on the GOG forums? There are some folks there who are Mac users and run various GOG games with Wine. Maybe they could provide some insight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.