Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paredown

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2018
Looking for suggestions about regaining full control of some Mac Pro 1,1s--

I jumped into a situation by purchasing some MacPro 1.1s that came out of a school district that were networked and locked down.

The machines try to boot to a network (spinning globe) until they time out, they then find the boot volume and get to desktop. On the untouched machines, the boot keyboard commands are also locked--the only thing that you can get to is the Recovery Partition (which also may be locked down--at least root privileges do not seem to be available). They also seem to be set for persistent power on--plug them in, and they will fire up--this is what we used to do with networked boxes BITD, but I have no idea how such things are controlled in the Mac world

Oddly, even with a fresh install on a bare hard drive I see the same behavior--spinning globe. I did think boot password, but no box appears, and if you check it from the Recovery partition it says No Boot Password Installed.

OS installed is 10.7.5--but I can't reinstall without purchasing as I found out.

I am a Mac newb, so I really have no idea how privileges are set in the networked Mac world, and/or if such controls persist on the machine (?EFI) side if a fresh install is done.

These machines look like they were imaged--and the only oddity that I spotted in list of software was Mac EFI update 1.8, which is supposedly for iMac: https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1493?locale=en_US
but this may have been part of a standard load that would fail on a particular machine.

paredown

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2018
Looking for suggestions about regaining full control of some Mac Pro 1,1s--

I jumped into a situation by purchasing some MacPro 1.1s that came out of a school district that were networked and locked down.

The machines try to boot to a network (spinning globe) until they time out, they then find the boot volume and get to desktop. On the untouched machines, the boot keyboard commands are also locked--the only thing that you can get to is the Recovery Partition (which also may be locked down--at least root privileges do not seem to be available). They also seem to be set for persistent power on--plug them in, and they will fire up--this is what we used to do with networked boxes BITD, but I have no idea how such things are controlled in the Mac world

Oddly, even with a fresh install on a bare hard drive I see the same behavior--spinning globe. I did think boot password, but no box appears, and if you check it from the Recovery partition it says No Boot Password Installed.

OS installed is 10.7.5--but I can't reinstall without purchasing as I found out.

I am a Mac newb, so I really have no idea how privileges are set in the networked Mac world, and/or if such controls persist on the machine (?EFI) side if a fresh install is done.

These machines look like they were imaged--and the only oddity that I spotted in list of software was Mac EFI update 1.8, which is supposedly for iMac: https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1493?locale=en_US
but this may have been part of a standard load that would fail on a particular machine.
[doublepost=1523040021][/doublepost]Got no takeup on this--but I started with a bit of a mistake--it was the 'flashing globe'--aka looking for a network drive, not the the 'spinning globe' of the internet recovery process.

That said, after realizing that so much of the machine was locked down/controlled, I bit the bullet and did a clean install of OSX 7--now everything works the way it should...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.