Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Panicof1907

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2020
I first noticed something weird tonight when I couldn't get MacMail to work. Circle with a ~ inside it. Clicking on it still doesn't get my mail to update.

Now this may be a red-herring, but I also noticed that I have two errors showing up on my Settings icon.

• Some account services require you to sign in again.
  • Some account services will not be available until you sign in again.

When I click on any of them either nothing happens, or I get stuck with a white box and the spinning spoke-wheel that goes forever without stopping.

Stumped here on how to handle this...

Screenshot 2024-03-17 at 8.58.08 PM.png

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
Have you set any Screen Time restrictions? You may have done it on your iPhone with “Share across devices” enabled. Happened to me once.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Open the App Store app and sign out from there. It should log you out from System Settings – Apple ID as well. Then log in again into the App Store app and check the settings in System Settings – Apple ID.

Panicof1907

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2020
Thanks. The App store thing was a good suggestion I think. Though it didn't help when I tried it.

However, I finally got some luck after doing a safe-boot. This (sort of) fixed some of the issue.

I still have a message though telling me to Update my ID. Now this is where things are getting scary. It first asks for my ID password, then asks for my Computer password.

And if that's not scary enough, it now is asking for my iPhone passcode too! (to input on the computer) I refuse to go any further. Doesn't common sense state that you should ONLY type this info on your actual iPhone?

The only way I can make sense of this, is if I have some rogue software that is trying to trick me into giving up my passcode to my device. But who knows what silliness Apple has done.

Can someone verify if getting this prompt "Enter the passcode you use to unlock the iPhone" on an iMac is not suspicious?

Screenshot 2024-03-23 at 3.50.05 PM.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-23 at 3.50.05 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-23 at 3.50.05 PM.png
    59.2 KB · Views: 15

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Thanks. The App store thing was a good suggestion I think. Though it didn't help when I tried it.

However, I finally got some luck after doing a safe-boot. This (sort of) fixed some of the issue.

I still have a message though telling me to Update my ID. Now this is where things are getting scary. It first asks for my ID password, then asks for my Computer password.

And if that's not scary enough, it now is asking for my iPhone passcode too! (to input on the computer) I refuse to go any further. Doesn't common sense state that you should ONLY type this info on your actual iPhone?

The only way I can make sense of this, is if I have some rogue software that is trying to trick me into giving up my passcode to my device. But who knows what silliness Apple has done.

Can someone verify if getting this prompt "Enter the passcode you use to unlock the iPhone" on an iMac is not suspicious?

View attachment 2362072
That is standard Apple protocol. Nothing is wrong.

Reactions: chevyboy60013

Panicof1907

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2020
Thanks!

So I went through some hoops and did some keychain update and so far (crossing fingers), issue is resoled for now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.