Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PaulyB80

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2015
Not yet - downloading 10.11.4 first so will see how it behaves after the reboot. Download is taking forever though...

gforce216

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
Same issue with my brand new rMBP 13" I got today. Really bummed, but I'm glad it is a bigger issue. I have been doing everything Apple Support has thrown at me to no avail.

PaulyB80

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2015
Thanks for the reply. Have you tried rebooting to make sure you stayed logged in?

Now updated to latest El Capitan and rebooted... App Store and iCloud logins have held, but I can no longer log into iMessage. No luck with FaceTime either. Tried running the fix again but no change.

Uplift

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2011
UK
Had a similar issue.. Fired up my new mac today (10.11.3), couldn't even get past the setup process because i couldn't sign in to iCloud.. I was forced to restart and choose the skip option.. once in OSX I couldn't sign in to anything at all.

A little tinkering around I managed to get into the bare minimum of iCloud.. however, I was unable to login to the app store (different apple id), key chain, FaceTime, iMessage, etc..

No error messages, just the little spinny thing and no way to cancel it but force close.

@PaulyB80 solution on page 1 of this thread fixed it for me.

Very frustrating evening a quick setup job has turned into 4 hours and counting.

fredrikathecat

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2016
Just made this account to post my experience for what it's worth.

Bought a refurbished MacBook on Monday, received it Tuesday. Could not get past the sign in screen to set it up. Skipped that step and let the rest of the set up go forward. It's running 10.11.3. Can't log in to the app store to download the update or any of my other software. Can't log in to iTunes or iMessage or Keychain. iCloud is otherwise fine and syncs right up with my calendar info, etc. I can log into iCloud on the web, and I have no problems with my iPad or iPhone. I called tech support last night (Tuesday) and after an hour of "try this, try that" and no success we thought it might be an overloaded server so soon after Monday's Apple Event.

Today (Wednesday) I brought it to the Apple Genius Bar. We spent two hours trying everything, including a complete wipe and reinstall of the software. Then we exchanged my MacBook for a new one, and tried to set that up, and I couldn't log in on that either. So the problem is with the Apple ID on Apple's servers and not with the computer. I took my original computer back and went home, having set up a phone call with an Apple Advisor for this evening who would be able to help me they said.

On the phone tonight I spent an hour trying various things with the Apple advisor who did a screenshare with me this evening. She escalated me up to a Senior Advisor, who broke the sad news that there is nothing to be done but to wait for Apple's engineers to fix the server problem. The Senior Advisor said there was a memo out to the tech support people from the engineering department acknowledging that there was an issue. He said the fix should be in a matter of days not weeks. My only option is to keep trying to log in until it works. He was apologetic and certainly every one I've dealt with at Apple Support has been courteous and kind, but that is what I was told so I figured I would share it here.

Actually typing this all out for other people with the same issue has been the most calming aspect of a frustrating experience. Fingers crossed for a quick fix.

Reactions: jiehanzheng

Uplift

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2011
UK
Just made this account to post my experience for what it's worth.

Bought a refurbished MacBook on Monday, received it Tuesday. Could not get past the sign in screen to set it up. Skipped that step and let the rest of the set up go forward. It's running 10.11.3. Can't log in to the app store to download the update or any of my other software. Can't log in to iTunes or iMessage or Keychain. iCloud is otherwise fine and syncs right up with my calendar info, etc. I can log into iCloud on the web, and I have no problems with my iPad or iPhone. I called tech support last night (Tuesday) and after an hour of "try this, try that" and no success we thought it might be an overloaded server so soon after Monday's Apple Event.

Today (Wednesday) I brought it to the Apple Genius Bar. We spent two hours trying everything, including a complete wipe and reinstall of the software. Then we exchanged my MacBook for a new one, and tried to set that up, and I couldn't log in on that either. So the problem is with the Apple ID on Apple's servers and not with the computer. I took my original computer back and went home, having set up a phone call with an Apple Advisor for this evening who would be able to help me they said.

On the phone tonight I spent an hour trying various things with the Apple advisor who did a screenshare with me this evening. She escalated me up to a Senior Advisor, who broke the sad news that there is nothing to be done but to wait for Apple's engineers to fix the server problem. The Senior Advisor said there was a memo out to the tech support people from the engineering department acknowledging that there was an issue. He said the fix should be in a matter of days not weeks. My only option is to keep trying to log in until it works. He was apologetic and certainly every one I've dealt with at Apple Support has been courteous and kind, but that is what I was told so I figured I would share it here.

Actually typing this all out for other people with the same issue has been the most calming aspect of a frustrating experience. Fingers crossed for a quick fix.

I had the exact same problem.

Follow the instructions on @PaulyB80 post on the first page, this allowed me to login to iCloud, keychain, app store... the only thing I cant get into now is iMessage (and probably Facetime but i haven't tried that)

Reactions: fredrikathecat

adammazza

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2009
I had a question about this in a separate thread but figured I'd post my latest experience here:

To start on Tuesday I bought a reburbished MBP at Microcenter, couldn't log into imessage or facetime. Also noticed that even after signing into icloud the mbp wasn't showing up in "find my iphone" and instant hotspot wasn't working. Basically looked like the computer wasn't associated with my account.

I went to the Apple store yesterday. I told them everything I tried. They suggested they re-install the OS. After re-installing the OS, same thing. The tech went away for a bit, came back and suggested I return the laptop to Microcenter. He thought maybe it had something to do with it being a refurb and maybe the logic board getting replaced.

I headed back to where I purchased Microcenter explained the situation and asked to try the other refurb unit they had. Same result.....At this point, they were a bit incredulous.

We went over to a machine they had setup on the floor (no-refurb) and I was able to immediately log into my imessage account. Anyway I ended up getting a refund.

fredrikathecat

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2016
I had the exact same problem.

Follow the instructions on @PaulyB80 post on the first page, this allowed me to login to iCloud, keychain, app store... the only thing I cant get into now is iMessage (and probably Facetime but i haven't tried that)
I did eventually try this and you are absolutely correct that it worked. Even after I rebooted.
OR I happened to try this right around the same time the Apple servers refreshed when they rebooted the Apple Store with the new iPads/iphones, and that was the fix. But it's fixed. This morning I am even getting notices about my FaceTime and iMessages being recognized, so I guess all is well. I really appreciate all the help in this forum. Thanks, people.

Arno-NL

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2017
Having the same problem. On my imac from 10.11 til now. (10.12.3). And on my iphone. It does not mather were i log in. i keep getting a error with my apple id. (a error accurd, try again).
tried all the tips and tricks i could find. It does not mather where or with what i log in for imessage or facetime. it fails.
Sooooooo frustating for so long now, i have gave up and dont use it.

Jeaumeau

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2013
Just bought a MacBook today, same issue. I've had a browse on the official Apple forums and come across the following post which has solved the problem for me:

Reply Helpfulby aPenguin on Oct 25, 2015 9:10 AM

The following procedure worked for me. Please note that it will delete your Apple ID account information for the current user and you will need to log in again.

• if the App Store is opened and stuck in the login process, force close it

• open the Terminal

• issue the following commands:
    • sudo pkill -9 -f Account

• sudo rm $HOME/Library/Accounts/*
  • open the App Store and log in
[doublepost=1549409266][/doublepost]i'm sure PaulyB80 meant well, but i tried the above suggested commands on os x mojave, and not only did it not solve the problem, but it deleted all my mail accounts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.