Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sach160

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2013
Hi all, I have a completely unimportant but deeply annoying issue that is taking up way too much of my mental space. Hoping some mac genius can assist! I'm on a MacBook Pro (14 inch 2021) Monterey 12.6.

The screen auto dims by half whenever unplugged from the battery. Under system preferences, battery I have 'slightly dim...' unchecked. Under system preferences, display, I have 'automatically adjust brightness' off and 'true tone' off.

I tried restarting in safe mode and it happens there too. Is this happening to anyone else? Is it a bug?

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
So I'm assuming you have tried manually adjusting the brightness back up to the level it was before you unplugged the power cord? If so, does it change at all when you plug in the power cord again? And then when you unplug the power cord again does it go back down to the same level it did before you manually increased it?

I'm just wondering if the system "remembers" the last brightness setting you set when running on battery power.

Sach160

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2013
Hi, when I unplug it dims to half brightness. I then manually adjust it up to full if I then plug it back in nothing changes but when I unplug it again, it dims to half again.

If I don’t adjust it up from half brightness before plugging it back in, it gets a bit brighter - a couple of notches but doesn’t go back to the full brightness it was at before being unplugged.

Reactions: usagora

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Hi, when I unplug it dims to half brightness. I then manually adjust it up to full if I then plug it back in nothing changes but when I unplug it again, it dims to half again.

If I don’t adjust it up from half brightness before plugging it back in, it gets a bit brighter - a couple of notches but doesn’t go back to the full brightness it was at before being unplugged.

Good to know. I will try to remember to check the settings on my MBA when I get home and see if I can replicate what's happening for you on your MBP.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
This sounds almost exactly like the 'halfdim' setting available in the 'pmset' command. Here's a man page for it:
halfdim - display sleep will use an intermediate half-brightness state
between full brightness and fully off (value = 0/1)
Note that this setting is distinct from 'lessbright', which is the typical one that dims slightly when on battery.

The first thing to do is find out what your settings are. Do that while it's on battery, so the then-current settings are listed.

Type this command into a Terminal window:
Code:
pmset -g
The output will be a bunch of text. Use drag-select to select it all, then copy and paste it into a post here.

EDIT
I'm much less sure it's related to 'halfdim', now that I checked it on an actual laptop. The 'pmset -g' output on my older MacBook Pro shows halfdim is 1, but I don't have it set to dim on battery.

It would still be useful to see the output of the 'pmset -g' command, so please post that.

Last edited:

Sach160

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2013
Hi, thank you so much for assisting. Output attached

1664963860784.png

appltech

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2020
Hey
If I understood correctly

Turn off "low power mode" on the Battery section

Sach160

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2013
Brilliant! Thank you so much - that worked. I searched the internet for this issue and never found this as suggestion. Thank you again :)

Reactions: appltech
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.