Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
iOS 10.1.1
iPhone 6s+

Ever since the first public release of iOS 10, Safari has been slow for me, and worse: if I switch tabs or switch apps momentarily, Safari goes all white and is apparently frozen or dead. Only swiping it away in the app switcher, and relaunching, will fix it. And it's a fairly unpredictable bug, I don't know exactly what triggers it, although I see it about twice a day at least. I never have more than two tabs open, so it's not some ram issue.

Honestly I am not a Chrome fan, but after three iOS updates and Apple still hasn't fixed this, I couldn't take it anymore. Chrome has been fast and stable, which absolutely wasn't the case back in the earlier iOS 9 days.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I've seen people mention issues of this type, but I can't say I've come across them myself. Kind of an odd one given that it's not really there all the time even for those that do experience it and doesn't seem to be there at all for many others.

GalaDaliGirl

Suspended
Sep 19, 2014
Why doesn't Firefox for iOS cache my passwords properly? I have to type them in every friggin time.

Hanzu Lao

Suspended
Aug 24, 2016
Never had this issue, but if it happens often go for some other browser, but they all have their on issues and in my personal opinion are garbage. Same goes for OS X versions.

Andrewtst

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2016
Google Chrome is always my priority web browser for Android, Windows and now iOS.

I find it still the best ever make web browser.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I have heard that all browsers in iOS are forced to use the same render engine safari uses. I don't think chrome is free from "white screen of death" issue, although seems that fact shows something different.

Reactions: planetf1

Nick11Mac

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2011
California
Have both Safari and Chrome, so if one does something annoying I use the other. Have to revisit Firefox. It's been a while since I've used it.

ThunderMasterMind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2016
Haven't had any issues like this before and I've had iOS 10 since it was announced. Safari is just as fast and functional as it was on 9 for me.

Fruit Stand

Suspended
Apr 25, 2016
YYZ
Have you tried resetting all settings in settings > general > reset ?

Your issue sounds like a glitch in safari settings.

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
for me, it wasn't chrome at first, it was google maps which has been the gateway app to use more and more google apps.
first there were saved places in maps.
from maps, to chrome.
and then to the google app itself for search+. much better than the browser safari.
then from there its been google mail.

is apple maps still in beta? ah, that would be a no.
forstall gone, but never forgotten.
didnt apple maps control go to Friendly Eddie? ah, yes.

Reactions: OGPrince

Lappen71

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2012
It's slow as ****

Depends what you expect.
On 100/100Mbit Wifi I get 25% och the maximus speed.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.