Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

felixen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
Hi guys,

I just got 2 HomePod Minis and put them in my office. I noticed that when I tell my iPhone to "play music in office", Siri says there was a problem. If I tell the HomePods Siri to play music, no problemo.

In my living room I have a Sonos Beam. I use my iPhone Siri all the time with the command to "play music in living room" and it's always worked fine. But for some reason I cannot do this with the HomePods?

I know HomePod obviously has AirPlay, but could this issue be something like when I do this to the Sonos Beam, the iPhone knows that it will be playing the music and simply airplaying it to the Beam, while with the HomePods they want to play natively and thus the command on my iPhone doesn't work because my iPhone isn't intended to start playing music and airplaying it to the HomePods? Sounds odd I know, but I don't get what else could be causing this.

I have Apple Music btw

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
try rebooting everything, it should work
including your router, and any network gear.

If you're still having issues, try restoring the minis to factory and starting over, and try to play music before you add the second one and pair them.

You can also use handoff, once you have music playing on your phone, just hold it close to the mini, and music will transfer. (it seems to be smart enough that Apple Music is handed off, while Spotify is sent via airplay)

felixen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
try rebooting everything, it should work
including your router, and any network gear.

If you're still having issues, try restoring the minis to factory and starting over, and try to play music before you add the second one and pair them.

You can also use handoff, once you have music playing on your phone, just hold it close to the mini, and music will transfer. (it seems to be smart enough that Apple Music is handed off, while Spotify is sent via airplay)
Thanks a lot for the suggestion. I tested further and while I thought “play music in living room” worked for me yesterday, maybe I was mistaken. But it has certainly worked before yesterday.

Testing further today, I cannot tell iPhone Siri to play music in living room. I can’t even tell it to just “play music” (where it would usually start playing directly on my iPhone). Even when I’m on LTE this doesn’t work. Siri just says “oh oh, there was a problem”. She says it almost instantly so it’s not like it’s trying to load something and then fails.

I’ve tried rebooting my iPhone and have tried logging out of Apple Music and back in on my iPhone.
Still no luck. Super odd! It works perfectly on my girlfriend’s iPhone.
We are Danish but I always use the English Siri. I tried switching my Siri to Danish though, and then it worked. But in American English, British English; and in German - I get the same weird error

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
you should let apple know, (they might already)
It might be a danish account + English siri is messed up

felixen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
you should let apple know, (they might already)
It might be a danish account + English siri is messed up

I’ll contact them there, thank you. It’s super odd. Worked perfectly before I got my homepods, and on my girlfriend’s end it works no matter what language Siri is in.
Today I can say “play music” to play on my iPhone, but “in office/living room” still gives the error ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.