Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

groove-agent

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 13, 2006
So far it seems they've disabled music syncing from your Mac in IOS-13 forcing you to pay for an iTunes Match or Apple Music subscription.

I noticed this under iOS13.1. I wanted to manage my iTunes library centralized from my Mac but it's currently not possible. iTunes reports "iCloud Music Library is On" [enabled on your phone]. If you google how to turn it off, it points to an option under Settings.. Music ... iCloud Music Library (see screenshot). THIS IS NOT AVAILABLE UNDER iOS 13. So it seems at present, you can't transfer your own music library to your phone without subscribing to iTunes Match, or Apple Music. Both of which are paid subs.

I wonder if they're trying to pigeon hole people into a subscription by doing this. If this is true, I see a potential lawsuit brewing. Hopefully it's just an omission at the moment.

ios-icloud-music-library-reload-screens-1.jpg

Last edited:

peterpayne

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2017
Surely it must be a bug. They simply just can't do that. You should be able to transfer all your iTunes purchases or ripped music.

Tommo66

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2014
Surely it must be a bug. They simply just can't do that. You should be able to transfer all your iTunes purchases or ripped music.
You can, it is not the same as they have split the apps out. Open Music and connect your device and it should give you an option for what to sync the same way as iTunes used to. Or the Library Sync toggle is where you mention in your post.

groove-agent

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 13, 2006
Thanks for the replies. I agree, it could be in limbo until Catalina comes out but as it stands, I don't have any option for syncing my music from iTunes to my phone (see screenshot). It says "iCloud Music Library is On", but there's no option to turn it off under iOS 13 (see previous screenshot).

Screen Shot 2019-09-25 at 8.21.48 AM.png

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Turn off the "Sync Library" switch. Then, disconnect your phone from the computer and reconnect it. The sync settings should appear now.

groove-agent

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 13, 2006
I believe the option you are looking for is "Sync Library" under Settings -> Music.

You're right. It looks like the option has been renamed to "Sync Library" under iOS13. After disabling it on my phone, iTunes gives me the usual sync options from my Mac.

Thanks for pointing this out.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
You're right, it looks like the option has been renamed to "Sync Library". After disabling it on my phone, iTunes gives me the usual sync options from my Mac.

Thanks for pointing this out.

No problem. I don't know why they changed it; "Sync Library" is ambiguous and could mean either iCloud syncing or syncing from the computer. They should have kept it as "iCloud Music Library" or if they had to change it, "iCloud Music Sync" or something.

Reactions: groove-agent
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.