Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

croshtique

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
Cambridge, UK
OK, so this is more of a niggle than a real problem but it's curious. Basically I no longer have the ability to turn Bluetooth off on my iBook, in the menu or in system prefs (see attached screenshots). I'm using a D-Link DBT-120 adapter so it's not a big deal (I can just unplug the thing!) Have repaired permissions, restarted, and it wasn't a problem after installing 10.4.3 - this has just developed in the last few days. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    33.7 KB · Views: 6,085
  • Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    18.6 KB · Views: 246

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
croshtique said:
OK, so this is more of a niggle than a real problem but it's curious. Basically I no longer have the ability to turn Bluetooth off on my iBook, in the menu or in system prefs (see attached screenshots). I'm using a D-Link DBT-120 adapter so it's not a big deal (I can just unplug the thing!) Have repaired permissions, restarted, and it wasn't a problem after installing 10.4.3 - this has just developed in the last few days. Any thoughts?

that particular device probably doesn't let you turn it off. that's why.

croshtique

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
Cambridge, UK
DXoverDY said:
that particular device probably doesn't let you turn it off. that's why.

Nope - I've had this adapter for over a year and have been happily turning it on and off until a few days ago...

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
croshtique said:
Nope - I've had this adapter for over a year and have been happily turning it on and off until a few days ago...

did you have a device connected when you were able to turn it off before? perhaps? just taking a random guess here....

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Try spotlighting and deleting the plist associated with it... probably "com.apple.bluetooth.plist" but maybe something else, since you have a 3rd-party adapter. You can move it to the desktop while the device is NOT inserted, and then plug the device in, just to make sure you don't lose anything valuable. You might have to re-pair devices.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Funny, the same thing happened to my Mac (10.4.3). I had to go into the Bluetooth File Exchange utility to turn Bluetooth back on. Once I did that, I could turn the bluetooth adapter off and on normally.

This is with a built in adapter.

croshtique

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
Cambridge, UK
Bear said:
Funny, the same thing happened to my Mac (10.4.3). I had to go into the Bluetooth File Exchange utility to turn Bluetooth back on. Once I did that, I could turn the bluetooth adapter off and on normally.

This is with a built in adapter.

Aha, that fixed it - thanks!

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2005
i've tis DLINK DBT-122 which's a bluetooth adapter(USB) it doesn't have the off thing or anything...is it okay for me to just plug it out after using it or wht...it has a power light, am i damaging the thing? i can't find anything that can be done or any buttons to Off it...including the top one where u have an option of offing it on the taskbar but mine's don't have one...i tried BlueTooth File Exchange but there's no settings that i can change there..

Voidness

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
Null
I have the same problem right now. I just noticed it when I tried to connect my Apple Wireless Mouse to my iBook (10.4.3, built-in adaptor). I couldn't connect my mouse to the iBook, so I wanted to try to turn bluetooth off and back on again, to find that I can't turn it off! I tried deleting the plist files and it didn't work. I also tried the bluetooth file exchange with no luck :(

Any suggestions?

EDIT: I got it working again, it seems there's some kind of glitch in 10.4.3

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
Wow, very weird. I saw this thread recently and didn't pay much attention. Now I too have the same problem on 10.4.3. Not sure what to do. BTW, I have bluetooth built in to my PowerBook, but have yet to use it and I don't have an ext. adapter.

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
Yup, restart did the trick. Seemed to start randomly though, not after an update:confused:

EDIT: Ha! I was able to recreate the problem! Seems to happen after I try the Safe Sleep (hibernation) hack on my powerbook. Link To Safe Sleep Hack

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.