Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

justwannagohome

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2022
I run my Macbook Pro with M1 Max in clamshell mode most of the time and have a Caldigit TS4 Thunderbolt dock and Apple Studio Display connected. Until recently, I was able to unlock the Mac using my external Touch ID Magic Keyboard. Now this seems no longer possible. I have to enter the password every time.
Is this due to the update to macOS Sonoma 14.2.1?
Is there a way to use TouchID to unlock the device when the lid is closed?

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
What happens if you press ANY key on the keyboard first, THEN press the TouchID button?

On my work MBP (with Ventura), from time to time, I need to wake the keyboard first (hence my suggestion above), then I press the TouchID button to log in…

justwannagohome

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2022
Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, your method does not work.

Are you still able to unlock your Macbook with an external TouchID keyboard when it is in clamshell mode under macOS 14.2.1?

justwannagohome

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2022
I might have found the culprit. I have two keyboards connected to my Macbook Pro via bluetooth (because I work on two different desks) – an older Apple Magic keyboard without TouchID and a newer one with TouchID. As soon as I turned off the older keyboard and reconnected the TouchID keyboard, the problem disappeared. It seems my Macbook was just confused.

Reactions: circatee and chabig
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.