Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Reasonable One

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 31, 2016
Secret Bunker Testing 2018 17" MBP
Hey just wondering if anyone's fixed this issue since Apple support can't. My MacBook Pro 2018 with i9, 32 GB, 512 SSD and 560X can't update to the newest macOS 10.13.6 Supplemental update. It keeps failing and as a result I can't get the throttling fix.

I even tried to download and install the macOS Mojave beta to see if that fixed things but that failed too.

How did you guys fix this if you were able to? Because if I can't fix it soon I'm asking apple for an exchange or refund since I'm within 14 days.

Thanks for the help

Mr Margaret Scratcher

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2018
I got my 2018 i9 and less than a day after I had it I got prompted that the OS needed to be reinstalled, now it just goes round in a loop. I tried to install to a USB stick to see if it was a faulty SSD, but no joy. Reset PRAM, NVRAM, usual stuff.

I've got a replacement being sent out but it's not going to arrive before I leave to play a wedding gig in France. I feel like customer support gave me the 'solution' of having a replacement sent out as a viable option when realistically, it was never going to arrive 7 days later. Spoke to them on the 25th, it's going to arrive on the 6th August :/

Reactions: Kevinfinity

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
In another thread, someone was advised to shut down their machine and hold down the Touch ID button for about 15 seconds, and then they tried again and it worked. I think this is how an SMC reset is done on the 2018 MacBook Pro with T2 chip.
[doublepost=1532774802][/doublepost]
I got my 2018 i9 and less than a day after I had it I got prompted that the OS needed to be reinstalled, now it just goes round in a loop. I tried to install to a USB stick to see if it was a faulty SSD, but no joy. Reset PRAM, NVRAM, usual stuff.

I've got a replacement being sent out but it's not going to arrive before I leave to play a wedding gig in France. I feel like customer support gave me the 'solution' of having a replacement sent out as a viable option when realistically, it was never going to arrive 7 days later. Spoke to them on the 25th, it's going to arrive on the 6th August :/

What's your spec? Are you based in the UK? Most Apple Stores have the i8/32GB/1TB space grey config in stock right now, you could just go in and exchange, even if you bought it online.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

Something to try:
1. Do a safe boot (shift key held down at startup).
2. Get to the finder, then run software update that way.

Mr Margaret Scratcher

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2018
What's your spec? Are you based in the UK? Most Apple Stores have the i8/32GB/1TB space grey config in stock right now, you could just go in and exchange, even if you bought it online.

Only 16GB unfotunately. I pressed to say that to go in and swap for the one in store would have been an acceptable solution but I was hurried into 'quick, lets get this return done over the phone else it's never going to arrive in time for the 1st' which, realistically it never would have done even if it was ready to ship from China there and then.

Bit **** really, in hindsight I should maybe have pushed.
[doublepost=1532795403][/doublepost]Also not quite sure why my thread was merged - My machine won't boot from any bootable media - the OSX Install partition the installer creates as the first part of internet recovery can be seen if I hold down option, just my machine won't boot off it, it just takes me straight to the internet recovery screen.

Also, Ubuntu boot USB won't boot.

The Reasonable One

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 31, 2016
Secret Bunker Testing 2018 17" MBP
Well I’m glad you’re getting a replacement. I chatted with Apple 3 times for an hour each and they couldn’t help. Went into the store and they bricked my device. Like they said they literally couldn’t put the OS back on it. So it was dead. Spent 10 minutes arguing with genius and he let me return it. This is all bs though because I know that reimaging a device should be possible or else they wouldn’t be able to do it in the factories.

Either way I have to buy the machine again and wait the week it’ll take.

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
As of yesterday (Sunday), the app store still didn't have the right High Sierra version for the 2018 MBP - hope this changes this week; usually it gets propagated much faster than this

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
As of yesterday (Sunday), the app store still didn't have the right High Sierra version for the 2018 MBP - hope this changes this week; usually it gets propagated much faster than this

The app store won't have right version till .7 is out probably, as the app store only hosts 'normal' versions, not special builds for new machines.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
The app store won't have right version till .7 is out probably, as the app store only hosts 'normal' versions, not special builds for new machines.
There isn't going to be a 10.13.7. The next OS that's available to install on the 2018 MBP is going to be 10.14.
[doublepost=1533038366][/doublepost]
There's never going to be a version of High Sierra for the 2018 MBP available on the App Store. Apple never puts these special versions on the App Store. You can, however, use this script to get one: https://github.com/munki/macadmin-scripts/blob/master/installinstallmacos.py

FFTHX

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2018

have you had to send your original back until they dispatch the replacement?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.